Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

2016 Elk Hunt

salmonslyer

Looking back we could of hunted smarter but I was lucky to be in a really good unit. We saw some bigger elk but this guy walked right up to us. I was looking at a bigger elk through the scope looking for a shooting lane (the shot was obstructed by brush), my buddy whispered and pointed at this guy about 50 yards away. He walked right up to us, stopped at 17 yards and began to bulge and didn’t stop. We watched him for a few minutes... I was kind of hoping he would walk away so we could re-position for a shot on a bigger bull so we sat still and waited, my buddy was off to the side and pulled out his phone to take a picture slightly starling the elk. When I saw him get startled I decided to shoot. I had a great shot at 17 yards and I took it. It was the first hunt I or anyone in our group had ever been on for anything. It was an absolutely amazing experience we had quite a few close encounters. Gotta give a shout out to Mr. Newberg before I stumbled on his YouTube channel I dint know elk hunting was even on the table.

Attachments

• 4eee 043.jpg
    4eee 043.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 662
  • 3IMG_4253.jpg
    3IMG_4253.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 642
  • 3IMG_4224.jpg
    3IMG_4224.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 663
  • 3eee 031.jpg
    3eee 031.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 677
  • 3caldera1.jpg
    3caldera1.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 673
  • 5IMG_4233.jpg
    5IMG_4233.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 670
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 665
Last edited:
Congratulations on a nice bull. In hindsight I could/should have done differently last year as I did not get a bull on my Arizona bull tag but Learning is always a positive!

Nice hunt and the sun shining sure looks like nice weather and made for great pictures.

Congratulations, that is nice bull. It looks like you are going to be hunting elk every year now.

Trying to, getting shoulder surgery in July so I'm not sure if I can pull it off this year. Still putting in for "glory" tags, for the right tag I'll learn the shoot left handed if I need to.

Great bull. Looks like a super fun time.
I've hunted elk in a lot worse weather ��

Trying to, getting shoulder surgery in July so I'm not sure if I can pull it off this year. Still putting in for "glory" tags, for the right tag I'll learn the shoot left handed if I need to.

Good luck with that surgery and get well! Try to shoot smaller caliber and muzzle break might help.

Very nicely done! I spent a lot of $$, sweat, and time to get my first bull. No way I'd have looked that gift horse in the mouth from 17yds. Well done!

"It was the first hunt I or anyone in our group had ever been on for anything."

Wow. That's impressive that ya'll were able to close the deal with no hunting experience. It took my group three hunting season's to bag our first bull and we all had a lot of deer hunting experience. Great job

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back