Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Dogs are Hunting Partners - Let's see 'em

my wifes wirehair 9months old goes everywhere with her, swims like a fish, points like crazy, the other wirehairs are jealous,,,,,

Attachments

• 20170209_182230.jpg
    20170209_182230.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 712
As most folks know, I'm in the early chapters of writing a "book" with Hank. He's become a great part of the family and is figuring out how to hunt a bit along the way.

If you want to keep your spot a secret you will be better served taking your dog...

Scan0002 (2) by squirrel2012, on Flickr

Scan0008 by squirrel2012, on Flickr

Scan0004 - Copy by squirrel2012, on Flickr

DSC04958 by squirrel2012, on Flickr

DSC02065 by squirrel2012, on Flickr

DSC02175 by squirrel2012, on Flickr

IMG_4243 by squirrel2012, on Flickr

DSC05390 by squirrel2012, on Flickr

DSC04829 by squirrel2012, on Flickr

IMG_1650 (640x480) by squirrel2012, on Flickr

IMG_1528 by squirrel2012, on Flickr

IMG_1858 by squirrel2012, on Flickr

IMG_5146 by squirrel2012, on Flickr

Sorry I like my dogs... dozens more but you get the idea!

Still trying to teach GuNR what a limit means.

29420629983_97c3576d11_c.jpg

Reese is our first hunting dog. She's turned out better than we ever hoped, overcoming her handicap of having us as trainers!

Glamour shot:

reese comp.jpg

Her favorite game - chasing pheasants:

IMG_0115.jpgpheasant hunt comp.jpg

Learning a new game - chasing mountain quail. We got to hunt with my grandpa, who has given up chasing birds in the mountains because he doesn't get around too well anymore. We took him out and drove the roads until we found some coveys to ambush. Having never hunted with a dog, he was pretty tickled to not have to crawl around in steep, brushy nastiness to find downed birds. Reese was pretty tickled that he's still a decent shot and there were plenty of birds to find.

quail comp.jpg

Her first hunting season. My FIL shot this swan, and it was all she could do to drag this thing by the head in to shore.

swan comp.jpg

She's 4 now, but I don't remember what it was like before she came along. Hope we have many more years of these kinds of memories.

Reactions: Lab
My wife and I have been married almost 28 years and have had dogs the whole time. 2 golden retrievers and now this knucklehead. Our 3 boys are grown so this 2 year old girl is spoiled as heck but is also the most driven dog we have had and doesn't much care for photo ops if the ducks are still in the air. She is my constant companion if I am not at work. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
We took Bella on a ton of hunting and fishing trips...pronghorn and deer were her favorite.

I really never realized how intense JRT's are when it comes to hunting. She would work the creek banks everyday on her walks, for voles, mink, muskrats etc.

Working the creek:

BellaintheCreek.jpg

Swimming in the pond, didn't realize JRT's could swim that well either, or like to!

BellaSwimming.jpg

She would catch crayfish and trout that were close to the bank:

BellaFish.jpg

Out hunting pronghorn:

IMG_0748.JPG

Photo bomb:

IMG_3923.JPG

Rain, cold, snow, always up for anything outdoors. Doubt there's many dogs that have packed more life into 15 years than Bella did. Lost her about a year ago, and it still sucks.

BellaSnow_1.jpg

Great posts fellas. It's awesome to see others love their dogs as much as i do I've got a soft spot for dogs. Their not called man's best friend for nothing! Cause that they truly are.

Keep 'em coming

Here is Jersey. He is almost a year and loves eating hostas almost as much as he loves my wife and girls. He and I have had our ups and downs, but things are looking bright as obedience training is all but over and the focus is transitioning to things considerably more enjoyable for the both of us.

Attachments

• IMG_3029.jpg
    IMG_3029.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_2802.jpg
    IMG_2802.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 474
Here is Remi our 4 year old GSP with our one year old son. They're starting to like each other more and more every day, pretty fun to watch them interact.
IMG_3496.jpg
(Sorry my phone always post my pictures 90 degrees off)

Last edited:
Here's my two boys, Solo and Kenai, both Alaskan Malamutes. Solo, on the left, was the only pup in his litter hence the name and likely the reason he is so big. He is 175lbs and over 6' nose to tail but a true gentle giant and rarely lets me leave his sight. He loves people and everyday when I get home he runs around frantically trying to find the perfect toy to bring me. He just turned 6. He is not a hunter but has killed a few of the wife's chickens.
His 'little' buddy Kenai, is around 120lbs and is a bundle of energy. At almost 4 he still acts like a pup. He went through a phase where no sneaker was safe and shredded quite a few. They are inseparable love chasing each other around.
In the picture in the background is Minto, who we lost 3 years ago at 10. He was a Malamute/Collie mix and the smartest dog I've ever been around. I could, and probably should, write a book on his antics.

boys.jpg

Kenai giving me the 'I know you have food' look.
Kenai.jpg

The big guy snoozing on his loveseat.
solo.jpg

Back