Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_hunter_JD View Post
    We use ours for deer stalking, this is my bitch Ellie in front and my mates dog indicating sambar down the next gully. Attachment 80159
    Good stuff. That looks like a pointers pointing to me, but I'm colored by my world view. So would these two be indicators in the act of indicating??

Quote Originally Posted by onpoint View Post
    Good stuff. That looks like a pointers pointing to me, but I'm colored by my world view. So would these two be indicators in the act of indicating??
    In the Aussie/kiwi dog world we do break up the terms indicate and point.

People are used to the front leg cocked, straight tail point of upland bird hunting as a "point".

Whereas indicating is any form of clear air scenting, changes in their body or movements etc. that indicates deer.

We train them to not lock up on point from when they first hit hot scent as the deer could be a ways ahead or moving and then you struggle to catch up. At the same time not all dogs point deer the same way they point birds. Mine is a great example. She does the classic point when bird hunting but is more an indicator for big game. And will become more rigid and slow in her movements when you're close. I prefer deer hunting with her as you need to have a stronger bond and level of understanding of your dogs idiosyncracies to be successful as opposed to bird hunting.

This trip we both shot stags over our pooches, definitely wouldn't have got mine without Ellie!

Blog Entries

"....indicating is any form of clear air scenting, changes in their body or movements etc......."

Upland pointers will exhibit the similar behavior(s) - you can clearly tell when the head cocks high and forward, the gait becomes a smooth deliberate trot, and they hold back posture as they're advancing. My griffon/lab older girl is particularly fond of picking up scent and going into stalk mode... Very cool hunting ungulates and birds with the same dogs. All good stuff. Dogs, love 'em.
    Last edited by onpoint; 02-12-2018 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by onpoint View Post
    Very cool hunting ungulates and birds with the same dogs. All good stuff. Dogs, love 'em.
    This in spades and triplicate!

Name:  2B39B8C7-DFC2-40B4-AAD4-7EBBAFAEC705.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  63.5 KB

This is about as close as my Setter gets to a hunting dog. She does love her stuffed squirrel though. Been my best bud for going on 10 years!

She recently passed away but she was my wing man. She loved the slough behind my home and chasing all the critters around it.
    Name:  B386E057-FEB3-44E0-A430-3B29C77F8BC8.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  39.7 KB

My first dog, his first retrieve on a bird, and last retrieve on a bumper his last summer still swimming at about 16.5 years old, a few months later was his last. Good old dog. Had several thousand retrieves on ducks and a couple hundred retrieves on honkers. The best dog is a dog that is as stubborn as you are to really open your eyes.

Name:  IMG_2048.JPG
Views: 79
Size:  61.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1704.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  36.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mtmiller View Post
    Still trying to teach GuNR what a limit means.

This is an awesome picture..... I have nothing like this but for some reason my computer wont let me upload mine
    To what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234