Caribou Gear

Is it Dumb Luck or am I Missing Something!!!

Jesnoc

I have always hunted deer on a NR General License. Never bought points, never applied for any permits! This year I decided that since I hunt in the vicinity, why not try my luck at a 455-60 deer permit!! I read somewhere that only 3 455 nonresident deer permits were given out last year. Saw last night that I was successful!!! I am super excited, but am a touch nervous as preparing to hunt an area that I have only ever seen in passing from a boat is slightly nerve-racking! Is it possible that they opened the quota this year or its it absolute dumb luck? At any rate, if anyone is interested in sharing stories or advice while hunting deer in 455, I would love to hear it! Not looking for GPS coordinates!! I would just love to know why the drawing odds are so low!! Thanks

"I would love to know why the drawing odds are so low"...no one should have to explain this but alas I will. The lower the odds typically mean the better the unit. I know the area and I know where I would go.

Thanks for the response! I understand the premise of better hunting equally lower draw odds!! However in 455 I was wondering why. For elk, in late October they move off of the pressured land around the wma on to it, the quota in this case would be set low to prevent hunters from wiping out the herd!! However, the deer are residents, so are the deer numbers low and the fwp trying increase the population by decreasing the number of hunters? Just wondering what any fellow hunters have seen in there in terms of deer. My family lives very close to this unit, I've hunted all around it with success on a general tag, was just wondering what makes this different aside from pressure. Thanks

In my opinion, that is the right choice. I will send you a PM when I have a bit of time

Thanks for the help, really looking forward to a fun weeks chasing some rutting bucks!!

My vote goes for dumb luck, if you could send some my way, that would be greatly appreciated.

I've spent quite a bit of time in this area. The largest whitetail I have seen was about 100 yards from the FWP compound and it was a monster. It is a fun area to hunt that always provides action.

Back