Chickens, a excited GSP, and a neighbor with a pistol.

Addicting

After the anxiety wore off today, I am just left laughing.

I let my 1.5 year old GSP out to run for a min to burn off some energy before I put him on a lead to go for a walk. We have 3 acres around our house and we live out in the country. He started his typical laps around the house and I was getting my boots on. About the time he should be coming back around I hear the neighbors yelling, chickens clucking, and a gunshot. I start running and and the sounds only get louder the panic is getting worse and I can see her son standing there with his pistol.

Come to find out there chickens were loose and in my back yard, when My dog turned the corner he saw a. It's run and flush and the chase was on. He ran them back into their yard and the owner panicked when chickens started flying in from every direction and a GSP in full pursuit. Her son thought it was a good idea to shoot his pistol in the air to scare the dog off. That put the dog in retrieve mode and only intensified the chase. By now I'm on scene and I'm got him whistled off and back to me. She instantly strung together enough words to make a sailor blush. The son has no idea what just happened and I'm pissed because I thought my dog got shot at. I returned the dog to his kennel and decided the walk could wait for a while until things settled down.

I started mowing the lawn and here comes her husband home from work and pulls up in my drive. He jumps out and all I can think is here we go again. Instead turns out he is apologetic about his kid and Sailor. He is like I don't know what the hell they thinking firing a gun over a GSP chasing a bird, thinking it would stop. Made me laugh a little, I said yep it didn't work out the way he expected did it. So no Chickens harmed, dog got exercise, and no hard feeling with the neighbor.

Last edited:
Well sounds like the best ending you could hope for in that situation. Neighbors sometimes don't understand bird dogs. I had some Brittanies one time at the in laws in the box in the back of the truck and she wanted to see them with her chickens out you can guess the end result.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back