Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mt 417-20

We didn’t see a ton of big bulls and my time is pretty limited. On the morning of the fifth day, just as the sun was starting to cast a golden glow across the landscape, we spotted a bull about a mile and a half away across the canyon. We dropped into the canyon to cross and pursue him.

As we were getting into the thick and dark timber we began to encounter a lot of elk sign and well worn game trails. We slowed down, put bullets in the chamber, and began ensuring our direction of travel had a favorable wind. We were creeping through pretty slowly and quietly, seeing a lot of sign. Keenan was walking in front of me as we came over a small rise—directly below us at no more than 25 yards was a feeding bull elk. Keenan dropped to a knee and put in his ear plugs. I moved up and to the left to lean against a tree.

I could see the bull was at least a 4 point raghorn. I could also tell he would quickly move out of a small shooting lane that I had between two pine saplings. I leveled the bore of my .338 rifle, took a deep breath and settled the crosshairs on the golden brown fur which was shining in the early morning glow. I squeezed the 3 pound pull on my custom Remington and sent 225 grains through the bull’s lungs. He whirled and took off in the opposite direction—but we soon heard a pant and a crash.

We waited as the two other bulls he was with milled around trying to decide which direction the loud boom that had disturbed their late morning brunch had come from. About 45 minutes after the shot—we recovered him. He had made it only 25 yards from impact. Then the butchering and packing began.
    "Equality in access to Montana elk is not basic to the maintenance or wellbeing of the Union." -US SUPCO

My brother has a lot more time than me to hunt and has already passed something like 20 bulls. I feel like we have got a pretty good handle on where to find some elk in 417. If folks who draw the rifle tag in the future want to reach out for some tips, I would be happy to do what I can to help.
    "Equality in access to Montana elk is not basic to the maintenance or wellbeing of the Union." -US SUPCO

Congrats on the bull that is a pretty rough unit compared to other breaks units IMO. They are there but you work hard for them I found in there. Hope your brother gets a good good one sounds like he is picking through them.

Congrats on getting a bull in there. I have been helping one of my best friends that has that tag this year and it has been tough. We have seen some good bulls but they seem to zig when we zag. Going in again this weekend to try again. Hoping they aren't all on the horse ranch now.

Congrats! Sounds like you did the best you could with the time allowed.

Nice job and good hunting. Congratulations Watt
    Kalispell Montana home to 75% genuinely good individuals, controlled by 25% of the most arrogant people you will ever meet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12