Mt 417-20

Can't add much more that hasnt been said already, but have hunted it a bit. Wife had a permit back when we started dating, she has way more experience there than I do. We hunted in a camp out of Winnifred, at that time there wasn't any 24hr gas there which became a problem. From what I saw and she has told me, later in the season it gets way better around there. That country can be tricky because if the elk haven't gotten there, you are hosed. No turning over rocks to find a small herd, if they aren't there then there just aren't any elk in the area. We went early and busted but hunting a BMA and public ground opening weekend and never saw a hair. She wound up going back with her sister and taking a raghorn the last week of the season. Trophy bulls are there but if I had the tag I certainly wouldn't hold out on one like I had say, a 621 permit. Once the elk get there life gets much easier. There is a heck of a nice hotel to stay at in Winnifred now as well and you can get a good burger at the bar across the street and talk to the sheep hunters that come in. I don't feel bad telling you anything I can to help because we'll likely never hunt there again. Not a bad tagto have! Mostly I'd suggest later in the season if you're around Winnifred!

I think pdubs better go hang out in Winifred and police the sheep hunters...make sure they don't pass on any knowledge to any elk hunters. All kidding aside I wish the OP good luck on the hunt!

First off, I have hunted there a grand total of less than a week, so I doubt I know any classified information. I can offer some insight on where to stay and what resources are there since my wife has family there and I work up there occasionally. Second, we should all try to be a little courteous to each other as hunters, this secret squirrel stuff is fine if that's your thing, but don't bust my chops if I want to actually help a fellow hunter. Nothing I know couldn't be figured out by any other guy that does his homework, everyone's secret spot is likely known by 5 others guys already anyways.

We didn’t see a ton of big bulls and my time is pretty limited. On the morning of the fifth day, just as the sun was starting to cast a golden glow across the landscape, we spotted a bull about a mile and a half away across the canyon. We dropped into the canyon to cross and pursue him.

As we were getting into the thick and dark timber we began to encounter a lot of elk sign and well worn game trails. We slowed down, put bullets in the chamber, and began ensuring our direction of travel had a favorable wind. We were creeping through pretty slowly and quietly, seeing a lot of sign. Keenan was walking in front of me as we came over a small rise—directly below us at no more than 25 yards was a feeding bull elk. Keenan dropped to a knee and put in his ear plugs. I moved up and to the left to lean against a tree.

I could see the bull was at least a 4 point raghorn. I could also tell he would quickly move out of a small shooting lane that I had between two pine saplings. I leveled the bore of my .338 rifle, took a deep breath and settled the crosshairs on the golden brown fur which was shining in the early morning glow. I squeezed the 3 pound pull on my custom Remington and sent 225 grains through the bull’s lungs. He whirled and took off in the opposite direction—but we soon heard a pant and a crash.

We waited as the two other bulls he was with milled around trying to decide which direction the loud boom that had disturbed their late morning brunch had come from. About 45 minutes after the shot—we recovered him. He had made it only 25 yards from impact. Then the butchering and packing began.

My brother has a lot more time than me to hunt and has already passed something like 20 bulls. I feel like we have got a pretty good handle on where to find some elk in 417. If folks who draw the rifle tag in the future want to reach out for some tips, I would be happy to do what I can to help.

Congrats on the bull that is a pretty rough unit compared to other breaks units IMO. They are there but you work hard for them I found in there. Hope your brother gets a good good one sounds like he is picking through them.

Congrats on getting a bull in there. I have been helping one of my best friends that has that tag this year and it has been tough. We have seen some good bulls but they seem to zig when we zag. Going in again this weekend to try again. Hoping they aren't all on the horse ranch now.

I guess from experience the numbers of elk just aren't there. Sure people get into elk but not like 410. If I was waiting for a rifle tag to me there's much better districts than 417 for bulls even better than 410. If antlers don't matter and your fine with taking a rag horn every other year then why are you putting in for bull tag when you can get 2 cow tags every year? For about any breaks unit and hunt them till February? It depends what your looking for in a elk hunt. Do you archery hunt? If you wanna hunt the breaks it don't get no better than mid to late September in that country. And you can pretty much bet your drawing a archery tag about any year without using your points. Do you have a boat? This can improve some access. If the breaks is the area that's your dream to hunt there's 5 or 6 archery tags that will encompass everything the breaks has to offer. Which is cool ponderosa filled gumbo country that can be flat as a pancake or straight up and down like a sky scrapper. I believe anyone who hunts elk in Montana owes it to themselves to at least go check it out.

I put in for a cow tag south of Helena. I wouldn't travel that far for a cow but any bull to me is a trophy, I was taught that as a young hunter. Yes I do archery hunt and would love to get out there and chase some bugling bulls but with work it is easier for me to get out in November. I am just trying to experience some new country and see what these breaks bulls are all about.
I am in the same boat as you my friend every bull or every elk rather is a trophy. Some come easy most don't. I would say keep building points on years you know it won't work out to do an archery trip. Don't burn them on 417. Even if you can plan 5 days in September or split 2 3 day weekends it's still worth it. You don't have to burn any points and the next year if it doesn't work out you can continue to apply for rifle. Heck you might get into that country and not like it? Never know until you go. Or pickup a region 4 cow tag and drive over in November to check it out. 2020 plans should include 1 or the other.

I'm right there with you every bull is a trophy but my thought is every guy needs to have 1 "good" elk hunt in his career. A good tag and look for a good bull.

My brother has a lot more time than me to hunt and has already passed something like 20 bulls. I feel like we have got a pretty good handle on where to find some elk in 417. If folks who draw the rifle tag in the future want to reach out for some tips, I would be happy to do what I can to help.
Hey Watt21. I am taking my 16 year old cousin out on his first hunt this fall and has a 417 cow tag and we are planning on going out over archer season. sounds like you had some success. wondering if you have any good pointer for approaching unit 417. Thanks in advance, Matt.

Hey Watt21. I am taking my 16 year old cousin out on his first hunt this fall and has a 417 cow tag and we are planning on going out over archer season. sounds like you had some success. wondering if you have any good pointer for approaching unit 417. Thanks in advance, Matt.
Welcome to HT, great first post. Hopefully this guy will get back to you on a thread that is going on two years old.

Welcome to HT, great first post. Hopefully this guy will get back to you on a thread that is going on two years old.
haha yeah I apologize for any abruptness in my entering of this conversation. I am a long time western hunter and working on getting the next generation into it. I stumbled upon this thread and it seems to be filled with a lot of great guys willing to help on this unit. I am never looking for a honey hole but knowledge is king when it comes to new units and I want to get this new hunter the best first experience that I can get him. Cheers.

haha yeah I apologize for any abruptness in my entering of this conversation. I am a long time western hunter and working on getting the next generation into it. I stumbled upon this thread and it seems to be filled with a lot of great guys willing to help on this unit. I am never looking for a honey hole but knowledge is king when it comes to new units and I want to get this new hunter the best first experience that I can get him. Cheers.
No offense taken, there is a lot of good information in this thread already. Many HT'ers live, work, and play in that nexk of the woods. You may want to try starting your own thread after a proper introduction. Most people are willing to help on a tough to draw tag.

Call the Horse Ranch, he's got some landowner preference tags again this year maybe he'll let you on since he has to pick 3.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back