Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

MT 270 Mule Deer Tag--Drew the tag and would love some guidance.

Jimbapple

I just found out my son (14 yrs old) and I drew the 270 mule deer tag for 2017. I am not really familiar with the district and if anyone is willing to share any information or guidance than I would be very grateful. I would like to spend some real time out there in archery, but would rifle hunt as well. Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the area.

Congrats on the tags.

Given some of the locals from that area who are regulars on this board also drew the tag, this year might be a tougher challenge in getting info from guys who are normally very helpful. Best of luck in your scouting and on your hunt.

My info is outdated as I drew it in 2008. But...Scout pre season as much as possible. Bowhunt early, when I was there 1st two weeks were best. Once they shed the velvet they got much tougher to find. Rifle season a lot of the deer I had been seeing dropped down onto the big private ranch beginning in early Nov. No secret areas, Sleeping child, little sleeping child, Rye Cr were my best areas. I found a couple of mid 170 deer way up high early but most of the bucks seemed to be around mid elevation clearcuts/burns

Hi 406LIFE. I just tried to PM you and your storage limit is exceeded and wouldn't let me send it to you without cleaning out some of your storage first.

Congrats on the tags.

Given some of the locals from that area who are regulars on this board also drew the tag, this year might be a tougher challenge in getting info from guys who are normally very helpful. Best of luck in your scouting and on your hunt.

Good to know some members will get to hunt Mule deer in their own stomping grounds this year!

Next time you are out walking the dogs swing in, and we can compare notes.

Neighborhood garbage clean up day is today at 10 am. Come pick up some garbage on golf course rd and we can compare notes. :)

BTW, are you going to try to get your buck with your bow? Should be fun. I am envious.

Last edited:
I have some elk calls orders I need to fill today so no garbage pick for me.

I will start with archery but by no means have to do it that way. The rut will be fun. 20 years of putting in for it. I will be in no hurry to fill it.

I just found out my son (14 yrs old) and I drew the 270 mule deer tag for 2017. I am not really familiar with the district and if anyone is willing to share any information or guidance than I would be very grateful. I would like to spend some real time out there in archery, but would rifle hunt as well. Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the area.

If you want another set of eyes/back during the rifle hunt let me know. I'd love to tag along. Congrats to you and your son. Wyatt is going to be jealous. :) Like Randy said there are a handful on here that have drawn or have had that tag and I'm sure they are going to be a little tight lipped and rightfully so. Congrats again. Man I love hunting mule deer.

I have some elk calls orders I need to fill today so no garbage pick for me.

I will start with archery but by no means have to do it that way. The rut will be fun. 20 years of putting in for it. I will be in no hurry to fill it.

Saw a hog last year on the West side of the road chasing does on public land coming back from the bighole. Savor your tag. It's a good one!

20 plus years ago, our group working with then Bio Lynn Neilson got these permits started in 270 and 261. Single digit buck to doe ratios at the time, yet still took a couple years of hard work to get the public and FWP on board. Sometimes changes work out. These two HD's sure did.

If you want another set of eyes/back during the rifle hunt let me know. I'd love to tag along. Congrats to you and your son. Wyatt is going to be jealous. :) Like Randy said there are a handful on here that have drawn or have had that tag and I'm sure they are going to be a little tight lipped and rightfully so. Congrats again. Man I love hunting mule deer.

I would be happy to have some help finding some big boys during rifle season. I'll touch base with you this fall on it. I plan on sneaking out plenty in august to see what I can find. Can't wait.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back