wyoming public land hunt

oldschool.06

My group is thinking of giving Wy a try we would love and appreciate some advise,tips,pointers what ever you fine fellas are willing to share . We would have a couple old timers with us so hiking abilities will be limited for them to maybe a few miles a day at best . (i know i know lol) The rest of us of course can hike a ways farther .
We would like the best access to public land hunting and a suggestions on a good spot to set up a hunt camp and what to expect . I know im asking a lot but I'm a rather new hunter and I figured closed mouths dont get fed .

Sounds like a great time. In my experience the only wrong choice is to give up and not go.

Buy a gazetteer and get online and look at the maps Wyoming has in the hunt planning tool.

Do you guys all have points? If so average them out to see how you'll be treated in the draw. If you don't have any don't let that discourage you; there are good areas available on no points.

The key is to hit the many tools online and hit em hard. No one here is going to give you the information you're seeking at the level of specificity you ask. This is a "horse to water" type situation and there are many here happy to assist you in shopping but won't pick for you.

Good luck!

not to sway you from your original plan but ever consider a pronghorn hunt? it's a much easier hunt, easier for you being new to hunting, the old timers getting around, much higher success, and camping is simple. Plus in my opinion pronghorn meat trumps deer meat any day lol

not to sway you from your original plan but ever consider a pronghorn hunt? it's a much easier hunt, easier for you being new to hunting, the old timers getting around, much higher success, and camping is simple. Plus in my opinion pronghorn meat trumps deer meat any day lol

^^This

I have been looking over Wy maps in preparation for a hunt there for years. My friends and I vary from 17 to 61 yrs. old.
We looked for public land, access, and terrain that varies from open rolling hills to steep rugged mountains ,all within 20 min drive or less. We like the northwest corner region. General region F deer tag is usually drawn with just one point and access can make it doable for the guy that can walk in 2 miles or the guy that is determined to push deep. Not a super buck region like some, but decent deer can be had with reasonable efforts.
Great bucks can be found , but success is lower than high point areas like region G. Less hunter pressure than some and more than others depending on how far in you can hike and time of year you hunt.
Hop this helps.

Thansk guys for all the great info !! Im sorry I havent been back to reply sooner my life has been crazy busy lately .

Thansk guys for all the great info !! Im sorry I havent been back to reply sooner my life has been crazy busy lately .

I recommend the Pronghorn hunt as a starter hunt as well. Get to know the area a bit, and see what kind of deer area it is, and have a blast doing it.

I recommend the Pronghorn hunt as a starter hunt as well. Get to know the area a bit, and see what kind of deer area it is, and have a blast doing it.

I love that idea !! Im gonna run it by the gang and see how they feel about it . At this time one of the older dudes says hes got a honey hole lined up for us in Idaho so that might be where we end up . Im not against Idaho maybe I'll get to see a wolf .

Back