Nevada 2nd Draw/OTC question

BrokenArrow

Assuming that there actually will be any tags left over, would I have had to participate in the 1st draw to participate in the 2nd draw?
NDOW processed my Hunter Ed card and gave me an ID #, but never sent me a confirmation. I could not get through to them on Monday to apply for tags. I'm sure they were busy. So, I just put in for points just for a starting point knowing that in my first year applying I would most likey not draw tags anyway.. This is my first year applying out of state.
Do I have any other options for tags; deer, antelope, or elk? Thanks

Last edited:
Not a requirement. If there are any leftover for the 2nd draw, history has shown it will most likely be mule deer in low-demand units and most likely be archery-only tags.

Not a requirement. If there are any leftover for the 2nd draw, history has shown it will most likely be mule deer in low-demand units and most likely be archery-only tags.

Thank you sir, I'm listening. I'm one of those nomad archers who has to start somewhere and doesn't have anything to lose, so... I've been blessed hunting and guiding in CO for 18 years. It's been long due that I engage in public land support beyond my state boundaries and spend some $ in one of the best ways we can, go hunt. Thanks again

Besides archery deer, sometimes you get lucky with a few muzzy deer, cow tags and one year there was even a Desert Bighorn as well. God only knows how that could've even happened! The first year or two just put in for easier to draw areas. That way you kinda get a feel for the land and just remember that Nevada holds giants in every area of this beautiful state. Good luck!

Big Fin is correct.
Sometimes there are some tags left after the second drawing and those are available to everyone on a first come first serve basis whether you are resident or non-resident.

Thank you all. I really appreciate it. I know some people have an opinion about whether or not to build points in certain states if you are starting from zero. To me, it seems that it is not so much each individual state draw system that matters as much as the species you are putting in for. Deer in Nevada will be relatively much more easy to draw than a California sheep. So, my strategy is that if I'm buying the license, I might as well add the points for the more difficult species to draw as well. Can't hurt.
The real question is, if I draw a sheep tag when I'm 90 years old, will I be able to crawl in the saddle on a good old horse? Or will we be teleporting into the back country by then?!
Thanks again.

Last edited:
I feel the same way. Even as a resident I may not draw mtn goat or desert bighorn before I die. I'm 54 right now and I only have 11 bonus points for both species so I figure I've got 10 years left where I can still get to where the goats live and maybe 15 where I can still hunt for desert bighorn.
Too bad I can't leave my bonus points to my son in my will. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back