900-20 woes

Trust me stubaby, you're not missing out on anything. Those points will someday result in a good hunting experience.

I've never looked at it that way. But what good does it do to keep your points if you can't either add to them or know when you cab "cash" them in.

If they'd just give me one more rifle tag, I'd just go 900 from here on out. Because they don't give tags to the top point holders, you never know when your "time" will ever come. So you wait......

I a man so mad at the Fwp. I didn't draw my 410-20 bull tag second choice. Isn't this unit over objective? Give me a break...giving this thread my vote for dumbest of the year and that's saying something with all the se mt deer threads this year

Let's assume that Lope Hunter, M8, roger that, and spaz aren't forum trolls who believe that Randy likes it when they take over threads and act like they own the place.

The 900-20 tag for years was 100% draw as a second choice. It's frustrating that now it's not, despite that the elk in these units continue to increase in numbers. I was being facetious with my first post. I hunt multiple states.....lots of options. I've helped more people on this website specifically than Rogerthat has posts. We've been seeing this coming for years and it's finally here.

Would all of you be ok with the same units that are in discussion going to the same rules and tag allocations for deer? Last time I was in 704 I saw more elk on public land than mule deer. I'm certain FWP is fine with the tag allocation, otherwise they would change it.

Limiting tags is one way to limit harvest. So why make it easier to kill cows than bulls in a particular unit than the bulls? Last I checked, bulls don't have calves, and the fastest way to cull a herd is to take out the females.

I think like Bob mentioned earlier in the thread...gone are the days one can expect to pick up a second choice. My logic is likely very skewed but I think as odds of drawing continue to drop in the big units, guys are beginning to cash in their points on easier to draw units and once they're down to zero points they start focusing in on easier to draw units. I mean if I had 1 point and saw the odds of an Elkhorn tag I'd probably choose a 900 tag. Also this year once word got around about that big bull there was probably an increase in applicants for 900. Next year the odds could be better...I don't know for sure but it may be a good guess.

One can easily argue that 900 is too big...that is where sending a well worded email to FWP commission and the biologists suggesting possible breaks and the benefits of splitting it up will be. If you and several others voice the same concern it just may be split. Creating that dialog with FWP is the only way it'll even have a chance of changing.

Haha...obviously I don't take over forums. Look at my post count that you pointed out. I still don't get the point of this thread other than that you feel you should be able to get this tag second choice and you didn't. Lots of people did draw second choice. You have been unlucky which was the risk you took when you applied the way you did. Other than coming off as a whiner, I don't get your point. Just my opinion... take it for what you paid for it.

I said I was being facetious. I know what the risks are, I'm not asking for information on getting this tag "no matter what". If you take it as whining by just assuming what you thought I meant then I can assume you are being a jerk.

I don't agree with the amount of units involved with this tag and the amount of archery tags allocated to it. ESP when you look at the history behind it and how well the elk are doing in these areas. If you agree with it then fine.

I keep hearing "montana is an opportunity state", if you want to do the waiting game look at other states.........so which is it.

You can still hunt a cow during archery in many of the units the 900-20 tag covers. I liked it as a fall back 2nd choice when it was possible. The first year I didn't draw it as a second choice was 2015, so I don't put in for 2nd choice now and have zero elk points.

It's not a premium tag by any means, but there is enough people running around during archery in those units.

Mt has too much opportunity... strap the boots on and hit the general season. You can hunt for 11 weeks! Still not getting it!

Thanks again Spaz. Where would I be without you.

HSI, I know the rules. My friends and I killed 3 cows in 704 last fall. 2 the year before that. In the group that we glassed up last year there were 25 cows and 11 bulls. Now those 3 cows are not around to have calves this year. Do the math. If we would have been able to kil bulls, then that would have been 3 less elk rather than 6, 9, 18........like taking out the elk who actually give birth to more.

If they want the herd to grow......and I assume they do by all the stipulations on the NF vs state, blm, and private.......Not to mention the very limited amount of rifle bill tags, then why make it so much easier to kill a cow vs a bull?

Drive from Lewistown to glendive, then down to alzada. Then go west to red lodge and back to Lewistown. Take out the res land and still try to tell me that archery tags for elk should be capped. That's a lot of ground!!!

Roger, I get further from the trailhead than anyone but Spaz and Randy.....

Is this clear enough......go post elsewhere. Please. I disagree with you. Move on. Roger That? 10-4? Over and out?

I never implied that you didn't get far from the trailhead nor do I care...the draw didn't go your way, I get it...so you started a thread to whine about it and got called out. I think that sums it up. Don't worry about me, I rarely post and don't plan to change that in the future. Have a good one.

If they want the herd to grow......and I assume they do by all the stipulations on the NF vs state, blm, and private.......Not to mention the very limited amount of rifle bill tags, then why make it so much easier to kill a cow vs a bull?

I think we have a well established track record that FWP doesn't "want the herd to grow".

I agree the applicable area of the 900-20 tag is crazy. That's one reason why it's worth it for me to put in for a first choice.

I would much rather see the 900 tag broken up into manageable sections by FWP. Same as antelope. The units are just much too large to manage, I know that opinions been voiced many times.

Count me as another one who gets his first choice elk tag every year. The 900-20 and no regrets at all. Who needs bonus points anyways?

I collected 13 points before I got drawn. Brace yourself it might be a while before you get a 900-20 tag again.

Back