MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

My rig in progress....

SFC B

I got this Jeep last year just before the season and it served me well on that first trip with nothing done to it. Given some time there are a few things already done and more on the horizon. This replaced Big Blue (some of you may remember) the 91 F350 SC LB. Blue was just to expensive to run and cumbersome in tight spaces. So now we have a 95 YJ Rio Grande 4cyl 5 speed. So far I have done the following: First thing was some new tires and a set of chains; next was mounting the 10k winch from blue onto the front bumper with the use of a simple mounting plate; then came new canvas for the doors; last thing so far is new shocks and mounts (had one crack) for the rear. I brought my off road kit with tow straps, d shackles, a snatch block, hi lift jack and air compressor as well. Next up will be a hood mount for the hi lift, then new canvas and a safari rack (maybe a pull pal as well). Hope to get that done this summer and I will be about where I want to be. I have to say that my first experience with the jeep off road last year was great. It was amazing where that lil joker could go. I missed some of the really nasty stuff by simply driving around it. Add to that fuel costs (went from 8mpg with the 350 to 21 mpg with the jeep) and it seems good for my set up. I hope to have this going for a few years and then maybe upgrade to a used Rubicon with the dana 44s and lockers :)

Attachments

• 14714893_10211802435482639_1027052765284630279_o.jpg
    14714893_10211802435482639_1027052765284630279_o.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 986
  • jeep.jpg
    jeep.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,001
If you really want to increase the capabilities toss an Aussie locker in the front. They click a little, but do great. I've had one in mine since 08. Wheeled all over the southeast with it. Mine's in the middle.
155640_506193766112212_1266035751_n.jpg

Very cheap upgrade that really improves your capabilities drastically over open diffs. Also if your YJ still has the vaccum system for the front engagement you can swap to a cable pull system for pretty cheap that is a lot more dependable.

Started out like this:
1937401_121500285735_3943069_n.jpg

Last edited:
I have contemplated a locker of some sort but think I may be at the limit of where I want to $$$ with the stuff I have listed. With a 4cyl YJ I want to be prudent with what I do.

I had an 85 CJ7 with the 258 in-line six and 5 speed manual. Man I loved that thing. Wish I still had it! They can go amazing places and if you can drive on it, you can turn around on it.

So, I got one of those harbor freight coupons in the mail the other day and started looking around their site . As you know I have been contemplating a safari type rack to give some added cargo capacity. Well, I found a rack they described as an "ATV" rack that looked promising. With the coupon it was only $40. It came today and I am pretty pleased with it. I will post a pic of what it looks like on the jeep in morning. https://www.harborfreight.com/300-lb-capacity-atv-cargo-carrier-69858.html

I had an 85 CJ7 with the 258 in-line six and 5 speed manual. Man I loved that thing. Wish I still had it! They can go amazing places and if you can drive on it, you can turn around on it.

I had a 1970 International Scout with the self same motor but with a 3 speed tranny once upon a time. Drove the living snot out of that thing. Drove over stuff I never thought I could. That's one solid motor. If it hadn't been for the hidden ditch lateral that wiped out the front end one day I would probably still have that truck.

I used to have the jeep bug but went the ATV straddle route. Recently looked into a new UTV (Ranger type w/front & rear seating)...pricing hit the 20K mark pretty damn fast.

Think I might have the jeep bug again..just makes more sense.

I used to have the jeep bug but went the ATV straddle route. Recently looked into a new UTV (Ranger type w/front & rear seating)...pricing hit the 20K mark pretty damn fast.

Think I might have the jeep bug again..just makes more sense.

Agreed.

I think I'll be selling the Dodge Ram in about 6-7 years and buying my wife a new car. Then I can have her Jeep.

Looks like a good rig. I have the same setup I have made every attempt to keep it streetable (Word?) while increasing it's off road performance.
First I have the same HF rack and it is great for our Jeep other than needing to remove it to access the cargo hatch. Better than the Safari rack because most 4cyl jeeps can't maintain 65mph in 5th gear with the added wind resistance.
Second make sure the front and rear track bars have been removed. Not the sway bar just the track bars. You can get sway bar disconnect for 50$ if desired it helps off road but you will want it connected when on road.
Third the best money you can spend is a "lunchbox" type locker for the front axle as suggested above. A "Aussie" or "lock right" for the front axle. Anyone can install one in a few hours and they only cost $300.
The next step would be a true trac for the rear but it would require professional install if you don't know how to set up gears.

Last but not least I hope yours is more reliable than all the jeeps I have owned because I've never seen something so simple break so often.

Like harley said, the prices on the UTVs are eyepopping. A guy could do a lot with a used $5000 Cherokee or 4runner and 15K to spend on it. mtmuley

Back