PEAX Equipment

2017 Eclipse (August 21)

nuevo_eph

Is anyone else making plans to go check out the eclipse in August as it swoops down from Idaho to Tennessee? I'm planning on grabbing the family and putting on a thousand miles or so and driving up from New Mexico to see it. My initial route is to pass through Fort Collins / Cheyenne and then hit the back highways because they are planning for hurricane-evacuation like traffic on the interstate roads.

Just curious if any others are planning to do something similar.

Ephraim

We'll be in Casper or thereabouts, we were lucky to get one of the few rooms left in the area. I'm really looking forward to it in a geeky/hippy way. Wifey and I were all set to see the 1991 eclipse in Cabo, but ended up not going because we were dumb, and we've always regretted it.

There's another good one in the April, 2024, I'd love to be in Mazatlan for that one..

Don't forget to buy your filters now. I have solar filters for my various binos so I have something to look at as the eclipse approaches.

I live in Casper and they are predicting record crowds for the eclipse. There are people renting their homes for outstanding amounts of money. Good luck finding lodging. The eclipse time here is supposed to be one of the longest in the country.

I plan to get into Wyoming through back roads in the southeast and get into the path that way. Totality lasts longer the further southeast you get, up to a point.

I'm not looking forward to it.
I'm a fire lookout in Idaho have already been told to get prepared for the hoards. Stanley and Challis are expecting major problems with people. Sounds like most rooms are booked.
I'll look forward to the next day.

Sounds like a good event to bang the drum for Public Lands. Is BHA doing anything to bring awareness to all the people using the public lands on this day? A couple well placed billboard ads in the towns all these people will be visiting might be a good idea. Places like Stanley, Challis, or Salmon, Idaho.

Last edited:
I'm not looking forward to it.
I'm a fire lookout in Idaho have already been told to get prepared for the hoards. Stanley and Challis are expecting major problems with people. Sounds like most rooms are booked.
I'll look forward to the next day.

With all the shit going on in the world, I'm thinking millions of people are looking forward to having a good time experiencing a natural wonder. I know I am..

According to the NASA website I looked at, the path of totality crosses the lower 48 from Oregon to the atlantic, and the duration is within 5 seconds of the max duration over a span of 1100 miles. So there are plenty of places to see it.

I saw one in 1997 while I was on a business trip to Venezuela. Pretty impressive, but in this case a lot easier to catch.

The path of totality passes right above our family farm/property outside of St. Louis. I've been looking forward to this for a long time.

Just curious if those that live along the path of the eclipse are seeing the crowds yet? I live north of the path of totality and went into town today for a funeral and was surprised how much traffic was on the highway through our area. Lots of rigs with roof racks/cargo boxes headed towards Oregon. At the edge of town there's an electronic reader board to warn travelers of our blowing dust and persistent fog, today it said,"eclipse traffic going into Oregon expect delays." Tomorrow will be business as usual here, but I'm sure everyone will take a mid-morning break from the tractors to do some watching. Good luck & good watching to all those traveling to or living in the crowded areas!

Just curious if those that live along the path of the eclipse are seeing the crowds yet? I live north of the path of totality and went into town today for a funeral and was surprised how much traffic was on the highway through our area. Lots of rigs with roof racks/cargo boxes headed towards Oregon. At the edge of town there's an electronic reader board to warn travelers of our blowing dust and persistent fog, today it said,"eclipse traffic going into Oregon expect delays." Tomorrow will be business as usual here, but I'm sure everyone will take a mid-morning break from the tractors to do some watching. Good luck & good watching to all those traveling to or living in the crowded areas!

I-25 in to Wyoming is already pretty backed up. I know here in Laramie free are lots of people in town heading to public lands for the weekend. Walmart was busier than normal for a Saturday

Passes right overhead here in NW. Will take a half hour to step out of the office to take it all in. I was in grade school the last time I saw an eclipse and was a partial. I have the glasses and they make headlights look like a dull grey blur. I will use my phone held near my waist with the front-facing camera active to view above without looking up. Apple says is safe.

We live in the midst of it on the Oregon Coast and people are pouring into the area. I'll be really glad when they leave! Our little town can't handle this many people. We had a total eclipse when I was in 6th grade and it didn't seem like that big of deal. Hopefully nobody gets hurt in the hysteria.

Funny thing is I have property right in the middle of it in Eastern Oregon up high and I cant be there because I have to take my oldest off to college Tuesday morning. We live in Portland so we should still get a good view. It should be interesting watchg all the animals. Squirrels think Its winter and deer and elk start heading down early thinking it night.

Light traffic all the way from Laurel down through Greybull to Thermopolis. Demolition derby going on right now at the fairground, then a town dance until 1AM downtown. Looks like everyone is ready to have a good time.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back