Elk Calls

Wisco

Honestly have no idea where to start... What brand, how many calls, what type of calls, etc... Obviously I'll need a bugle and at least one diaphragm call but do I need a whole set? I'll be hunting CO archery (9/15-9/24). I listened to the podcast with Rocky Mountain calls so I was thinking of going that way, but really at this point, any advice (or even just what you have in your arsenal) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Phelps makes some really good calls especially diaphragms. Don't spend 40 dollars on a bugle... Get a thick wiffle ball bat and cut the ends off... That's all a bugle tube is from the big manufacturers. Carlton also makes some really good hand calls. Lots of options just get a couple and get really good with them. You don't need 14 different calls my suggestion would be one to two good reeds that you can cow call with and bugle, two hand calls and one bugle tube you should be set.

I really like the Terminator by Primos. It's not a diaphram, exactly, but it's a very authentic sounding bugle and pretty easy to learn how to use. I also think the Hoochie Mama gets a bad rap. It's fairly limited in terms of the sounds you can make with it, but if used sparingly with something else, it has it's place. And, again, very easy to use. If you're just getting started, I recommend a Terminator and a Hoochie and then branch out from there.

I love Wapiti River diaphragms for both cow and bull sounds. I recommend the Reaper. Really easy to use too.

If you can't master a diaphragm get a Power bugle and some Sceery cow calls. Cow girl call also works ok. Have a couple of cow calls or one you can vary the tone with. If you bugle make sure you can sound like a raghorn and a mature bull, both calls work depending on the situation. Not hard to learn to call but listen to some real elk sounds to mimic if possible. They make all kinds of sounds when herded up.

Listen to the guys above for diaphragm advice, I haven't mastered them yet but can get some decent cow calls out.
Diaphragms come in different sized frames so get one that fits your palate and you won't gag as much.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back