A good walk and a few morels

dcopas78

My wife, father and I got out today for one last morel hunt before turkey season opens Monday. It will probably be the last morel hunt of the year for me....or at least the last time I look for them on purpose. I usually find some while out turkey hunting, and I will be back in these same hills next week more than likely. I didn't do as good as I normally do on this hike. We usually cover about 6-7 miles, walking from one parked vehicle to another parked vehicle several ridge over. I can usually fill up my net bag, and I thought I would today...but it just didn't work out like that. I still did OK though. Spring is my favorite time of the year, outside of the fall hunting seasons. It was a blessing to be able to enjoy today with my wife and my dad who will be 72 here in a few weeks. Hope you enjoy the pics.

waterfall2.jpg
Appalachia country

wildflowers.jpg
wildflowers

amydad.jpg
Coming off the hill

badfull.jpg
Not a bad haul

shrooms.jpg
These will be yummy

I'm taking a few days for the beginning of turkey season next week. Hope to find a a few mushrooms then. Didn't find any a few weeks back...

I'm taking a few days for the beginning of turkey season next week. Hope to find a a few mushrooms then. Didn't find any a few weeks back...

It's a weird morel season over here. Things were about 2 weeks early to begin with and they seem to be scattered, but plenty of them. I'm just not finding the patches I normally do. Instead of 30-40 in a "patch", I'm finding 10-12. By the 3rd-4th week of turkey season, it's going to be really brushy and hard to see them in the woods. Good luck next week!

It's a weird morel season over here. Things were about 2 weeks early to begin with and they seem to be scattered, but plenty of them. I'm just not finding the patches I normally do. Instead of 30-40 in a "patch", I'm finding 10-12. By the 3rd-4th week of turkey season, it's going to be really brushy and hard to see them in the woods. Good luck next week!
That mirrors what I'm hearing from folks in So. IN. I just wish my schedule and address allowed me more time to do stuff like hunt mushrooms...

IMG_0578.JPG

My little walk last Saturday with a buddy, he found them in herds I could only find singles. Glad to see the mesh bag, need to spread the spores around.

Sweet haul. Still too cold here, but that didnt stop me from doing 5.5 miles yesterday looking for bears and morels. Found neither, but i did locate some spots that should absolutely pop with morels in the near future. On a side note i walked around a corner on a logging road and bumped into the best turkey ive seen by far in the northwest. An absolute monster!! We surprised the heck out of each other, he ran about ten feet and proceeded to turn around and gobble at me. Was awesome! Figures, the one year i tag out early.
Btw, awesome boots. Was wearing mine yesterday.
Congrats on the shrooms!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back