Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

So many prototypes, so little time

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Down at the Howa facility shooting prototypes, talking about new ideas, and giving input. Lots of recent prototype samples for me to choose from.

20170418_152101.jpg

Fun to grab a barrel of whatever length/size/caliber/taper, then grab from the large assortment of stocks, ask the in-house gunsmiths to put it together and see how foolish the idea is.

Not sure what I should try tomorrow.

Something super light for those times you need to save weight in the cold, cold weather so can carry an extra camera battery. No need to be a boomer cartridge to knock over an elephant. After all, have to shoot the thing a few times at the range so no need to get beat up by a mega magnum.

NHY- HAHA!

Big Fin- You've definitely worked hard and made some great decisions in life. Congrats on the fun!

Well, after all this prototype discussion and learning of some things Howa has on deck, I think I'll try a custom build off the Howa action. I want a rifle that cries, " Take me antelope hunting."

Howa is embarking on some cool partnerships that will allow you to order the barrelled action you want and a large option of stocks to go with it, allowing you to do some really cool stuff. Not sure when that will be up and running, but I plan to be a test dummy for the process.

Should be fun. Lots of decisions to make as part of that process. I really don't need a new antelope rifle, hi em I have a bunch of great antelope calibers in my safe. But, I'm at that point in my life where I want it one, even if I don't need another one. As many different combinations as I handled and consider over the last two days, I've got some good ideas of what my antelope rifle could be.

Open to suggestions from Hunt Talk antelope junkies.

I like my 25-06 for antelope, but I'm not a expert by any means. It has just worked well for me, the four goats I have shot. It will be interesting to hear other people's opinions!

NHY's post says it all...

Have you considered a 26 Nosler? Flat shooting machine, that one.

My suggestion would be something with either a 6mm or 6.5mm bullet and not larger than the 308 case. There are a LOT of low drag, VLD style bullets out there for those two diameters. Beings you are sponsored by Nosler, if you focus on the Accubond LR you'd had to stick with the 6.5 as they don't offer a 6mm yet in that line. But, you could pull some strings... That said, I'd not be scared to use a 6mm or 6.5mm from their RDF line on pronghorn. With those criteria and looking at the options HOWA offers, it'd be either a 243 Rem or a 6.5 Creedmoor. Either one would need a 1-8" twist barrel for the long, wind bucking bullets. Not sure if they would do it, but I'd see if you couldn't get them to lighten up their HCR. If they could get the weight closer to 8-8.5# I think you'd have one whale of a pronghorn rifle. They could get pretty close, I'd think, with a smaller diameter or fluted barrel and a bit more simplistic buttstock. Being a chassis, there are a lot of lighter AR style buttstocks they could choose from. If that rifle is not aesthetically acceptable, I'd see if they'd make you up a Target Master barreled action in one of the above chamberings with a 20-22" barrel and drop it into the Long Range stock. These would probably end up a touch heavier than a standard sporter rifle, but I've found that to not be a problem for hunting pronghorns. The one I've used on my last two pronghorn hunts is north of 10#.

For speed goats you could use the 130 bt from a 6.5 Creedmoor, sheer sectional density will give you all the penetration you need with great expansion. I like the idea of a "Prairie rifle" with the more traditional match calibers for antelope, mule deer, and desert whitetails. It would really just mean a longer and/or slightly heavier contoured barrelled action dropped in those already nice Hogue stock and there you go

be nice to see a reincarnation of the Remington mountain rifle, but a 24in barrel, 280 Remington, light stock, no floor plate,,,,

Standard #2 Howa in 6.5 Creedmoor, Houge Sand bedded, Stainless Silver finish, Timney upgrade, Talley lightweights, VX6 HD 2x12x42 Firedot, Extended Mag.

My 3 cents from someone who would love to buy a Howa rifle, but has always let some other brand win out:

The standard Howa 1500 and the compact/youth models are all too heavy. I wish they could shave off 1/2-3/4 of a pound from all of them.

The more customizable option you mentioned seems like a great idea.

I really think they should release the alpine mountain rifle in long action calibers. Don't get me wrong, I'm smitten with the 7mm-08, but they'd sell a lot more of them...

For a lope rifle I think I'd have a hard time walking away from an alpine in 6.5 Creedmoor. The only change I'd consider would be extending the barrel 22". If they could piece together a long "alpine" action with #1 tube I'd opt for the 6.5-06 with 120 grain Etips.

Custom, Huh ? Seems like you have the guys at hand to tool whatever....Ok. Just for 'Lopes, I'd love to see a 25 Souper (25/08).

Never understood why this one didn't get a following, except for the dumb a$$ name given to it.

Light weight frame & stock, 24" (or even 26") barrel, maybe fluted, sans an extended magazine

If it were to be proclaimed a 25 HT Howa would have an instant market for at least a couple/three/ninety dozen ! :)

Last edited:
I'd like to see a long action/longer barreled Alpine as well. Also I have suggested to Legacy Sports and maybe you could also since I think you agree since you don't use it either, their drop box magazine needs some revamping. after 1 season of using the ammo boost mag I have switched to the hinged floor plate. I think Howa/legacy needs to have a Generation 2 drop box mag that doesn't stick down so far and has a much better release lever that wont accidentally drop the mag while hunting or just bumping it at the range. other than that, it would be hard to beat the Cerakoted Alpine Action and stock combo in a larger variety of calibers.

I think If I were looking to build a antelope rifle, I would stretch out an alpine rifle, 24" sporter weight barrel on a short action in .243 or a long action in 25-06. For an antelope rifle I would want some extra weight to stabilize the rifle, so maybe a rifle/scope combo to come in around 9lbs. If they had a stock option that resembled a B&C Alaskan (that wasn't a weatherby pattern) they would generate a ton of interest.

I might be in trouble if they had options that would give me something like this.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back