Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

So many prototypes, so little time

Dang, just when I thought I had considered enough options to be comfortable with my decision, along comes the serious Hunt Talk gun community to reshuffle the deck. This is good stuff. I see a few common suggestions among the comments so far that were also in my mind.

I would prefer a 24" barrell but wanted to shy from the heavy designation....assuming you were working within Howa components only...cept for the Timney.

Another vote for an alpine in 6.5 creedmore shooting long range accubonds! At least 22" barrel and I think you should get the stock dipped in one of the Sitka camo patterns.

I am thinking two guns....one in .220 swift and one in .264 win mag. Also while you are there if you come across any .338 RUM brass, fill your pockets up please and send it my way.

If I had a couple of suggestions on my Alpine would be a beefier safety and bolt release. Those are currently formed from sheet goods, I think you could create an alloy that would be stronger a little more mass and not sacrifice weight.

Short action, short barrel... something that points easily out the truck window. ;)

A rifle that screams antelope would be blue'd with some lumber attached. Not sure they make such a beast though. There is something to be said about the thunk of an action closing in a wood stocked rifle.

Wow, I would be like a poor kid on a shopping spree. Too many options!

I do vote for a longer barrel on the HT Alpine model.....

How about one rifle, with inter-changeable barrels?
But i suppose that would be a new design concept and too costly.
Imagine going Antelope hunting with a 25-06, and then switching to 300 calibre for Elk etc
Just throwing it out there.
Cheers
Richard

Be nice if they started offering a Lefty ...........

With that said If I was to build a rifle for goats I would want it to have a 24" number 3 contour barrel with a very slender stock for easy carry. I would want it about 7.5 - 8 # total to fight off the wind shakes and chambered in a very easy mild mannered classic cartridge like the 6mm Rem, 257 bob, 7x57 mauser. Just kinda adds a little style. my 2 cents

Last edited:
How about one rifle, with inter-changeable barrels?
But i suppose that would be a new design concept and too costly.
Imagine going Antelope hunting with a 25-06, and then switching to 300 calibre for Elk etc
Just throwing it out there.
Cheers
Richard

Blasphemy!

Gonna be a Howa barrel, action, and trigger. I really like the Howa trigger. The receiver is designed intelligently with the flush mount integrated recoil lug as a solid part of the receiver, rather than screwed/bolted as many others do. The consistency that comes with that receiver/recoil lug design is excellent and I think one of the most overlooked features when people are buying a rifle.

Barrel length and contour yet to be determined, but your guys talking about a longer barrel (22-24") are reading my mail. Since this is a prairie rifle, weight is not paramount and the barrel contour will reflect that fact.

It will be a short action, for sure. I'm just a huge fan of the efficiency of short actions. I already have a 6.5CM (some say is technically not a SA) in a the Alpine Mountain Rifle, so if I go with the 6.5CM, I will trick it out a bit different from the Alpine Mountain Rifle. I've also got two 7mm-.08 and four .308 Win, so both of those calibers are probably off the list. Through a process of elimination, it is looking like a 6.5CM, though not completely sure.

Stock decision will be interesting, given how many options exist. It will be Cerakoted. Floor plate magazine.

After that, it will be a decision on optics and mounting hardware. I think I've already got that one figured out.

I bought my dad a 1500 in 308 and while it's not exactly the lightest gun it's definitely the most comfortable factory gun I've shot, if they released a 1500 in 6.5 CM with a 24-26" barrel I'd sell my savage in a heartbeat to pick one up.

I don't even know what I would do in that place...prolly have paralysis from too much analysis and never make up my mind

If the short action is the only option I think a fast 6mm ex: 243 win, 243ai, 6mm rem or 6-284. 2 are wildcats so that may not be an option. Use a 24 inch fluted barrel 1-8 twist set in a quality synthetic stock with 2 studs up front, one for a sling and one for a bipod. Then top it with VX 6 2x12.
Once completed send it to me for testing ;)
If a long action is available then 6-06, 25-06, 257 Weatherby or the good old 270 win. PS I'm still available for testing.
I've been reading about the 6mm's doing very well in the long range target venue beating out the 6.5's. Just a thought!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back