Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

So many prototypes, so little time

For prairie a .25 caliber round is good choice 25-06, 257 weatherby, beings that your limiting yourself to a short action receiver you have the 257 Roberts or the 25 WSM. I'm a fan of the odd ball stuff, as it's usually a great conversation starter.

Nope. Most every quality stock manufacturer has Howa offerings, all of which are available for this project.
That being the case, I'd talk to breaksrunner (pat) about the offerings from Manners. He seems to have the hunting rifle thing dialed in a bit... :D I like the look of the EH6 stock.

Second look for me would be McMillan. The one I have I like a whole lot! If they'll inlet a Game Scout for the HOWA I'd give it a thunk. Not a traditional shape, but for the types of shots I've taken while pronghorn hunting (prone or off sticks) I think it'd work swell. The Remington Classic and Sako Hunter are two other styles I'd give a thought to.

Nope. Most every quality stock manufacturer has Howa offerings, all of which are available for this project.

With this new information, this is what I'd do-

.243 alpine action, 24" medium contour fluted barrel, cerakote black, with a very nice, thin piece of walnut.

Synthetic stocks have their place, but for me the desert sage country screams walnut stock.

Put a 2-12x42 VX-6 on it. The beauty of the .243 is you can stick a 80 grain copper in it and not have to worry about turning dials until you get past 300 yards, which on pronghorn and on film you're probably not likely to do anyways.

It would still be plenty light to carry around all day, but having the weight out front and the walnut stock should keep it pretty sturdy as well.

You're on a good track Randy, and it'd be a lot of fun to get to play around with that collection! It's really hard to leave the mid capacity 6.5's behind with the bullets that are out there these days. I just screwed my most recent hunting rifle together, and it's my favorite by a pretty wide margin. Other's would probably think it's a little too heavy (9.75 lbs) but it offers 90% of what my 15 lb competition rifles do. By more conventional thinking it'd probably be a pretty good antelope rifle, instead of the all around hunting rifle I'll treat it like. My trouble with having anything less is I kept ending up taking my comp gun despite the weight because it shoots so very consistently. Sub-10 lbs will be nicer to pack than 15...

Here's my current take on best:

Manners EH1 stock - surprising light, with a VERY high cheek and heel. Best fixed cheek stock for prone shooting I've used, and I've used a lot. For a guy who can't get behind the modern vertical style grip or slightly larger dimensions a Manners EH3, EH6, or SL would be my next choices.

Bighorn SA TL3 - I really like this action but lots work, and Howa isn't a bad place to start.

6.5x47L - I'm pretty heavily invested in this caliber with excellent dies, 1,100 pieces of Lapua brass, and about three barrels worth of experience. For most the 6.5 Creed makes more sense, as long as the bullets you like will fit in the magazine you have. This chambering range with the slick bullets we have today, rangefinders, and good scopes offers SOOOOO much performance that stepping up in recoil is very hard to justify. Some may think factoring in recoil in a chambering in this range is silly, but the more you shoot, the more you realize how recoil gets in the way of shooting well. I am considering adding a 6.5 SAUM barrel with a brake to the barrel quiver, for niche uses. Swappable bolt faces are nice :)

24" heavy sporter - I could go 22"-24" happily, with a sporter to a heavy sporter contour. Mine is a barrel nut install, I can have an alternate barrel on in a week or so if I can find what I want in stock. I'd skip flutes and manage weight via contour, flutes are jewlery.

DBM - I like the AICS mag system and the options it gives me, for most uses a floorplate would be fine as long as feeding was 100%.

Timney Calvin trigger - Currently this ones a single stage, but it may end up a two stage. I like them at 1 lb, but most people prefer a little more weight. I hear good thing's about Howa's two stage.

The accuracy of this rifle is easily enough to win the types of shoots I do, but it does give up some shootability to my more dedicated rigs. At this point it's down to a balance between shootability and field friendliness, and this is a better balance for hunting than a 15 lb rifle with a brake.

If I were Randy, I'd be looking for a 22"-24" 6.5 Creed with a sporter or heavy sporter contour, in a Manners EH1 or comparable stock.

Carl's shot a few rounds since last posting here much. Note that's 1.1K brass and three barrels, not 1.1K rounds.

For my money in a Howa, give me a 6.5C, 5 rd DBM, Manners MCS-EHSL, 22" sporter contour. Of all the manners and mcmillans I've had the ehsl is my favorite all a rounder. Happy playing Randy.

I have to throw my .02 in here on the caliber. I purchased a rifle several years ago with the sole purpose of putting Pronghorn on the ground. After a bunch of research and many opinions I went with the 6.5x284. My family and I have since taken many pronghorn with the caliber, as well as deer and elk, and I am convinced that this is one of the best all around calibers out there every time we take it hunting. Certainly worth looking at for your build.

That's a mind changer for me on stock suggestion...I'm liking the Mickey & Manners opines. I also agree with Randy's walnut sentimentality but hafta go with the practicality aspect of synthetic.

You're on a good track Randy, and it'd be a lot of fun to get to play around with that collection! It's really hard to leave the mid capacity 6.5's behind with the bullets that are out there these days. I just screwed my most recent hunting rifle together, and it's my favorite by a pretty wide margin. Other's would probably think it's a little too heavy (9.75 lbs) but it offers 90% of what my 15 lb competition rifles do. By more conventional thinking it'd probably be a pretty good antelope rifle, instead of the all around hunting rifle I'll treat it like. My trouble with having anything less is I kept ending up taking my comp gun despite the weight because it shoots so very consistently. Sub-10 lbs will be nicer to pack than 15...

Here's my current take on best:

Manners EH1 stock - surprising light, with a VERY high cheek and heel. Best fixed cheek stock for prone shooting I've used, and I've used a lot. For a guy who can't get behind the modern vertical style grip or slightly larger dimensions a Manners EH3, EH6, or SL would be my next choices.

Bighorn SA TL3 - I really like this action but lots work, and Howa isn't a bad place to start.

6.5x47L - I'm pretty heavily invested in this caliber with excellent dies, 1,100 pieces of Lapua brass, and about three barrels worth of experience. For most the 6.5 Creed makes more sense, as long as the bullets you like will fit in the magazine you have. This chambering range with the slick bullets we have today, rangefinders, and good scopes offers SOOOOO much performance that stepping up in recoil is very hard to justify. Some may think factoring in recoil in a chambering in this range is silly, but the more you shoot, the more you realize how recoil gets in the way of shooting well. I am considering adding a 6.5 SAUM barrel with a brake to the barrel quiver, for niche uses. Swappable bolt faces are nice :)

24" heavy sporter - I could go 22"-24" happily, with a sporter to a heavy sporter contour. Mine is a barrel nut install, I can have an alternate barrel on in a week or so if I can find what I want in stock. I'd skip flutes and manage weight via contour, flutes are jewlery.

DBM - I like the AICS mag system and the options it gives me, for most uses a floorplate would be fine as long as feeding was 100%.

Timney Calvin trigger - Currently this ones a single stage, but it may end up a two stage. I like them at 1 lb, but most people prefer a little more weight. I hear good thing's about Howa's two stage.

The accuracy of this rifle is easily enough to win the types of shoots I do, but it does give up some shootability to my more dedicated rigs. At this point it's down to a balance between shootability and field friendliness, and this is a better balance for hunting than a 15 lb rifle with a brake.

If I were Randy, I'd be looking for a 22"-24" 6.5 Creed with a sporter or heavy sporter contour, in a Manners EH1 or comparable stock.
Yes, build something like that!!! Very nice setup.

To me antelope rifle screams 264 win mag but since you are going short action I could slum a 6.5 creedmoor ;). Of course I'm more partial to my 7mm mashburn over them all

To me antelope rifle screams 264 win mag but since you are going short action I could slum a 6.5 creedmoor ;). Of course I'm more partial to my 7mm mashburn over them all

Only a masochist would own, feed, and operate a 7 Mashburn.;)

A .22-250 with a fast twist 21" or 22" medium contour barrel with a stock similar to the Alpine stock would be pretty nifty. Or a Classic or Sako Hunter McMillan. Maybe a Mcwoody pattern...

Last edited:
I would love to see a comeback with the 6mm Remington. A 24", 1 in 9 twist, lightweight, low recoil rifle for long hikes and/or my wife and kids to use would be handy. It would also double well for winter coyote and wolf calling setups. If they happen to have an Alpine 308 with a 22" or 24" 1 in 10 twist barrel collecting dust on a rack I would love to have a chance to buy it.

8 twist 243 AI. 22" #2 type contour. Matte stainless. Fluted bolt. Unless factory fodder is a must. Then a straight up 243.

I just got a Howa 25-06 as an antelope gun and while still working up a load Id prefer a little longer barrel maybe fluted stainless to keep the weight down and handle bad weather well. Randy you seem pretty lucky with game showing up but your luck with weather is rotten if the tv shows are accurate depictions.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back