Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

If I had a couple of suggestions on my Alpine would be a beefier safety and bolt release. Those are currently formed from sheet goods, I think you could create an alloy that would be stronger a little more mass and not sacrifice weight.

Short action, short barrel... something that points easily out the truck window.

A rifle that screams antelope would be blue'd with some lumber attached. Not sure they make such a beast though. There is something to be said about the thunk of an action closing in a wood stocked rifle.
    "No Kuiu here"

Sure is a lot more fun to fantasy spend OP's dough.

Wow, I would be like a poor kid on a shopping spree. Too many options!

I do vote for a longer barrel on the HT Alpine model.....

something in a 6.5-284 that way you could still you Nosler ammo...final rifle weight with scope 8-8.5lbs

How about one rifle, with inter-changeable barrels?
    But i suppose that would be a new design concept and too costly.
    Imagine going Antelope hunting with a 25-06, and then switching to 300 calibre for Elk etc
    Just throwing it out there.
    Cheers
    Richard
    That's what the actress said to the bishop

7. Default

Be nice if they started offering a Lefty ...........

With that said If I was to build a rifle for goats I would want it to have a 24" number 3 contour barrel with a very slender stock for easy carry. I would want it about 7.5 - 8 # total to fight off the wind shakes and chambered in a very easy mild mannered classic cartridge like the 6mm Rem, 257 bob, 7x57 mauser. Just kinda adds a little style. my 2 cents
    Last edited by Bob Vetter; 04-20-2017 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer View Post
    How about one rifle, with inter-changeable barrels?
    But i suppose that would be a new design concept and too costly.
    Imagine going Antelope hunting with a 25-06, and then switching to 300 calibre for Elk etc
    Just throwing it out there.
    Cheers
    Richard
    Blasphemy!

Gonna be a Howa barrel, action, and trigger. I really like the Howa trigger. The receiver is designed intelligently with the flush mount integrated recoil lug as a solid part of the receiver, rather than screwed/bolted as many others do. The consistency that comes with that receiver/recoil lug design is excellent and I think one of the most overlooked features when people are buying a rifle.

Barrel length and contour yet to be determined, but your guys talking about a longer barrel (22-24") are reading my mail. Since this is a prairie rifle, weight is not paramount and the barrel contour will reflect that fact.

It will be a short action, for sure. I'm just a huge fan of the efficiency of short actions. I already have a 6.5CM (some say is technically not a SA) in a the Alpine Mountain Rifle, so if I go with the 6.5CM, I will trick it out a bit different from the Alpine Mountain Rifle. I've also got two 7mm-.08 and four .308 Win, so both of those calibers are probably off the list. Through a process of elimination, it is looking like a 6.5CM, though not completely sure.

Stock decision will be interesting, given how many options exist. It will be Cerakoted. Floor plate magazine.

After that, it will be a decision on optics and mounting hardware. I think I've already got that one figured out.
    My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run outta health before you run outta money."

10. Default

Srsly jealous. I'm srs.

11. Default

I bought my dad a 1500 in 308 and while it's not exactly the lightest gun it's definitely the most comfortable factory gun I've shot, if they released a 1500 in 6.5 CM with a 24-26" barrel I'd sell my savage in a heartbeat to pick one up.

Fin- Are you constrained by obligations to sponsors that you use a Howa supplied stock?

I don't even know what I would do in that place...prolly have paralysis from too much analysis and never make up my mind
    Q: Why does Snoop Dogg need an umbrella?
    A: Fo Drizzle

If the short action is the only option I think a fast 6mm ex: 243 win, 243ai, 6mm rem or 6-284. 2 are wildcats so that may not be an option. Use a 24 inch fluted barrel 1-8 twist set in a quality synthetic stock with 2 studs up front, one for a sling and one for a bipod. Then top it with VX 6 2x12.
    Once completed send it to me for testing
    If a long action is available then 6-06, 25-06, 257 Weatherby or the good old 270 win. PS I'm still available for testing.
    I've been reading about the 6mm's doing very well in the long range target venue beating out the 6.5's. Just a thought!

Quote Originally Posted by 1_pointer View Post
    Fin- Are you constrained by obligations to sponsors that you use a Howa supplied stock?
    Nope. Most every quality stock manufacturer has Howa offerings, all of which are available for this project.
    My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run outta health before you run outta money."

16. Default

For prairie a .25 caliber round is good choice 25-06, 257 weatherby, beings that your limiting yourself to a short action receiver you have the 257 Roberts or the 25 WSM. I'm a fan of the odd ball stuff, as it's usually a great conversation starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fin View Post
    Nope. Most every quality stock manufacturer has Howa offerings, all of which are available for this project.
    That being the case, I'd talk to breaksrunner (pat) about the offerings from Manners. He seems to have the hunting rifle thing dialed in a bit... I like the look of the EH6 stock.

Second look for me would be McMillan. The one I have I like a whole lot! If they'll inlet a Game Scout for the HOWA I'd give it a thunk. Not a traditional shape, but for the types of shots I've taken while pronghorn hunting (prone or off sticks) I think it'd work swell. The Remington Classic and Sako Hunter are two other styles I'd give a thought to.

With this new information, this is what I'd do-

.243 alpine action, 24" medium contour fluted barrel, cerakote black, with a very nice, thin piece of walnut.

Synthetic stocks have their place, but for me the desert sage country screams walnut stock.

Put a 2-12x42 VX-6 on it. The beauty of the .243 is you can stick a 80 grain copper in it and not have to worry about turning dials until you get past 300 yards, which on pronghorn and on film you're probably not likely to do anyways.

It would still be plenty light to carry around all day, but having the weight out front and the walnut stock should keep it pretty sturdy as well.

You're on a good track Randy, and it'd be a lot of fun to get to play around with that collection! It's really hard to leave the mid capacity 6.5's behind with the bullets that are out there these days. I just screwed my most recent hunting rifle together, and it's my favorite by a pretty wide margin. Other's would probably think it's a little too heavy (9.75 lbs) but it offers 90% of what my 15 lb competition rifles do. By more conventional thinking it'd probably be a pretty good antelope rifle, instead of the all around hunting rifle I'll treat it like. My trouble with having anything less is I kept ending up taking my comp gun despite the weight because it shoots so very consistently. Sub-10 lbs will be nicer to pack than 15...

Here's my current take on best:

Manners EH1 stock - surprising light, with a VERY high cheek and heel. Best fixed cheek stock for prone shooting I've used, and I've used a lot. For a guy who can't get behind the modern vertical style grip or slightly larger dimensions a Manners EH3, EH6, or SL would be my next choices.

Bighorn SA TL3 - I really like this action but lots work, and Howa isn't a bad place to start.

6.5x47L - I'm pretty heavily invested in this caliber with excellent dies, 1,100 pieces of Lapua brass, and about three barrels worth of experience. For most the 6.5 Creed makes more sense, as long as the bullets you like will fit in the magazine you have. This chambering range with the slick bullets we have today, rangefinders, and good scopes offers SOOOOO much performance that stepping up in recoil is very hard to justify. Some may think factoring in recoil in a chambering in this range is silly, but the more you shoot, the more you realize how recoil gets in the way of shooting well. I am considering adding a 6.5 SAUM barrel with a brake to the barrel quiver, for niche uses. Swappable bolt faces are nice

24" heavy sporter - I could go 22"-24" happily, with a sporter to a heavy sporter contour. Mine is a barrel nut install, I can have an alternate barrel on in a week or so if I can find what I want in stock. I'd skip flutes and manage weight via contour, flutes are jewlery.

DBM - I like the AICS mag system and the options it gives me, for most uses a floorplate would be fine as long as feeding was 100%.

Timney Calvin trigger - Currently this ones a single stage, but it may end up a two stage. I like them at 1 lb, but most people prefer a little more weight. I hear good thing's about Howa's two stage.

The accuracy of this rifle is easily enough to win the types of shoots I do, but it does give up some shootability to my more dedicated rigs. At this point it's down to a balance between shootability and field friendliness, and this is a better balance for hunting than a 15 lb rifle with a brake.

If I were Randy, I'd be looking for a 22"-24" 6.5 Creed with a sporter or heavy sporter contour, in a Manners EH1 or comparable stock.

Carl's shot a few rounds since last posting here much. Note that's 1.1K brass and three barrels, not 1.1K rounds.

For my money in a Howa, give me a 6.5C, 5 rd DBM, Manners MCS-EHSL, 22" sporter contour. Of all the manners and mcmillans I've had the ehsl is my favorite all a rounder. Happy playing Randy.

I have to throw my .02 in here on the caliber. I purchased a rifle several years ago with the sole purpose of putting Pronghorn on the ground. After a bunch of research and many opinions I went with the 6.5x284. My family and I have since taken many pronghorn with the caliber, as well as deer and elk, and I am convinced that this is one of the best all around calibers out there every time we take it hunting. Certainly worth looking at for your build.

That's a mind changer for me on stock suggestion...I'm liking the Mickey & Manners opines. I also agree with Randy's walnut sentimentality but hafta go with the practicality aspect of synthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    You're on a good track Randy, and it'd be a lot of fun to get to play around with that collection! It's really hard to leave the mid capacity 6.5's behind with the bullets that are out there these days. I just screwed my most recent hunting rifle together, and it's my favorite by a pretty wide margin. Other's would probably think it's a little too heavy (9.75 lbs) but it offers 90% of what my 15 lb competition rifles do. By more conventional thinking it'd probably be a pretty good antelope rifle, instead of the all around hunting rifle I'll treat it like. My trouble with having anything less is I kept ending up taking my comp gun despite the weight because it shoots so very consistently. Sub-10 lbs will be nicer to pack than 15...

Here's my current take on best:

Manners EH1 stock - surprising light, with a VERY high cheek and heel. Best fixed cheek stock for prone shooting I've used, and I've used a lot. For a guy who can't get behind the modern vertical style grip or slightly larger dimensions a Manners EH3, EH6, or SL would be my next choices.

Bighorn SA TL3 - I really like this action but lots work, and Howa isn't a bad place to start.

6.5x47L - I'm pretty heavily invested in this caliber with excellent dies, 1,100 pieces of Lapua brass, and about three barrels worth of experience. For most the 6.5 Creed makes more sense, as long as the bullets you like will fit in the magazine you have. This chambering range with the slick bullets we have today, rangefinders, and good scopes offers SOOOOO much performance that stepping up in recoil is very hard to justify. Some may think factoring in recoil in a chambering in this range is silly, but the more you shoot, the more you realize how recoil gets in the way of shooting well. I am considering adding a 6.5 SAUM barrel with a brake to the barrel quiver, for niche uses. Swappable bolt faces are nice

24" heavy sporter - I could go 22"-24" happily, with a sporter to a heavy sporter contour. Mine is a barrel nut install, I can have an alternate barrel on in a week or so if I can find what I want in stock. I'd skip flutes and manage weight via contour, flutes are jewlery.

DBM - I like the AICS mag system and the options it gives me, for most uses a floorplate would be fine as long as feeding was 100%.

Timney Calvin trigger - Currently this ones a single stage, but it may end up a two stage. I like them at 1 lb, but most people prefer a little more weight. I hear good thing's about Howa's two stage.

The accuracy of this rifle is easily enough to win the types of shoots I do, but it does give up some shootability to my more dedicated rigs. At this point it's down to a balance between shootability and field friendliness, and this is a better balance for hunting than a 15 lb rifle with a brake.

If I were Randy, I'd be looking for a 22"-24" 6.5 Creed with a sporter or heavy sporter contour, in a Manners EH1 or comparable stock.
    Yes, build something like that!!! Very nice setup.

This is no longer a good thread to read when I have a full set of build parts in the garage.
    Four of a kind, 7x57, 284 winchester, 7 Remington Mag, 7 Mashburn.

To me antelope rifle screams 264 win mag but since you are going short action I could slum a 6.5 creedmoor . Of course I'm more partial to my 7mm mashburn over them all

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast