Nevada

okie archer

After looking over toprut I think I will begin to build points in Nevada. It looks like with about five points a NR has a decent chance of drawing a mule deer tag. Does this sound realistic? Will probably purchase points for other species as well since I have to buy the license anyway. Is this a very good plan?

Those are some expensive points at around $200-250 a year with other species included. Five years= $1000 in fees with no sure thing for a tag. Better games to play for mulies in my book. The mulie hunting is great there don't get me wrong but you gotta decide if it's worth the cash bottom line.

I drew unit 221-223 with 4 points in 2015. I don't consider the points to be "expensive" like brownbear said. I put in for everything that I can and so should you.

If you have the money and seems like a fair deal if draw a decent deer tag once or twice a decade then by all means go for it. Some of us have been around the point systems a while and is easy to feel the value is not what it once was. Since value is a personal measure then all that matter is what you think.

I went here http://www.ndow.org/uploadedFiles/n...esources/Mule-Deer-Main-Hunt-Returns_2016.pdf and looks like in 2016 in the non-resident rifle draw that the demand was 17 to 1. So, about 17 years if everyone is to get one tag. Not realistic as the applicants chasing only the best permit or two will never draw that permit and the applicant just wanting a tag will put in for lower demand units. So, back to the facts. Rifle 17 to 1. Muzzie was 9 to 1. Archery 5 to 1. Guided 3 to 1.

Those are some expensive points at around $200-250 a year with other species included. Five years= $1000 in fees with no sure thing for a tag. Better games to play for mulies in my book. The mulie hunting is great there don't get me wrong but you gotta decide if it's worth the cash bottom line.

If are only applying as non-resident for deer and buying a license so can build points in Nevada then is expensive relative to some other states. Idaho requires a license to apply for deer in the draw. As does Oregon. If are putting in for several species then I would say the cost to hunt Nevada for whatever you would draw over the next 30 years is on par with Wyoming and Montana (credit card fee, right, to apply online and know your choices are valid?) when the dust settles. Utah requires a license to apply though can stretch to cover two years. Arizona requires a license and have not figured out how to stretch for two years as I apply in 3 application periods there. NM will refund license if not drawn but 6% of the tag pool in a state not know for churning out lots of nice deer makes lots of applicants skip NM.

I live in WA and the mule deer hunting here is pathetic and I apply outta state . When I here people talk about states out west and some units not being good I take with a grain of salt. What some think are bad units to others may be fantastic, all about each ones perspective and what they have become accustomed to. For me it doesn't take much after hunting WA for so long. We drew NV last year after 2 years of applying . I was told the unit gave have out to many tags , quality sucks and so on. I was little discouraged heading down thinking turning up a 4pt might be a challenge . Well as soon as we hit the unit my hopes were quickly turned! We saw so many bucks it was crazy and if this was someone's definition of a crappy unit I'll take it! We saw 40-50 bucks in 5 days and never saw 1 single person out of their rig actually hiking and hunting ! We hunted 4-7mi in and was peaceful and quiet and deer everywhere! We both killed 160" class bucks . Knowing what I know now.. With holding off and a little change in game plan 170-180 there is very doable. We apply in units with 2-1, 3-1 and 4-1 odds.. I plan to draw every 1-3 years . NV was by far the best mule deer exp I have ever been on in 27 years of hunting. I've hunted WA,ID and UT

Last edited:
I was told the unit gave have out to many tags , quality sucks and so on. I was little discouraged heading down thinking turning up a 4pt might be a challenge . Well as soon as we hit the unit my hopes were quickly turned! We saw so many bucks it was crazy and if this was someone's definition of a crappy unit I'll take it! We saw 40-50 bucks in 5 days and never saw 1 single person out of their rig actually hiking and hunting ! We hunted 4-7mi in and was peaceful and quiet and deer everywhere! We both killed 160" class bucks . Knowing what I know now.. With holding off and a little change in game plan 170-180 there is very doable. We apply in units with 2-1, 3-1 and 4-1 odds.. I plan to draw every 1-3 years . NV was by far the best mule deer exp I have ever been on in 27 years of hunting. I've hunted WA,ID and UT

Hey now.... The first part of this is absolutely true. The rest is untrue/false do not believe it at all. There are no mule deer in NV ;)

I had 12 bonus points last time I drew a NR mule deer tag. But, then again I apply for specific areas I've been to before and know really well. Buying bonus points for other hunts are fairly cheap in my mind.

Nevada has areas that can be draw fairly easily even by non-res. By looking at the bonus point data you can see which areas you would have a pretty decent chance of drawing. Some areas that for some reason are very popular would be almost impossible to draw. Like one area that had 2,162 apps for 2 non-res tags that's crazy.
One very good area had 176 apps for 50 non-res tags and 6 of thse tgas were drawn by non-res hunters with ZERO bonus points. Seem like a nuch better choice.

I wouldn't classify the rubies as a "very good area". That's a 5th choice area for someone who's desperate and just wants to draw. To me, that area isn't even an option and I would rather just gain a point.

rubies are none of my choices...I have found some units that lack applicants due to terrain and lack of "road hunting" = less people...which was true where we hunted last year seeing not 1 single person out of there side by side or truck.

I wouldn't classify the rubies as a "very good area". That's a 5th choice area for someone who's desperate and just wants to draw. To me, that area isn't even an option and I would rather just gain a point.

By all means if that is what you believe keep at it. Makes it easier for us to draw, thanks.

rubies are none of my choices...I have found some units that lack applicants due to terrain and lack of "road hunting" = less people...which was true where we hunted last year seeing not 1 single person out of there side by side or truck.

I'm always amazed at how many times I hear that there are no deer there and that there is almost no access. I guess the fact that there aren't roads all over the mountain means there is no access. Works in our favor. In all the years we've been hunting one particular area we have seen 1 guy with a backpack that actually startled us because we had never seen anyone back there.
He asked if we knew where there was some water. We gave him some of ours but we didn't tell him about the one spring in the area.

Rsnk61 is right there are no deer in Nevada!

Last edited:
@Gr8bawana...you can hunt there all you want. It doesn't bother me a bit...Neither of us said there was a lack of deer there. By all means, go meat hunt all you want but it should never be one of your 5 choices. That's why there are always 2nd draw tags available in 101-108

@Gr8bawana...you can hunt there all you want. It doesn't bother me a bit...Neither of us said there was a lack of deer there. By all means, go meat hunt all you want but it should never be one of your 5 choices. That's why there are always 2nd draw tags available in 101-108

Thank you! I would rather hunt there every year or two than wait 5-10 years for one of the alleged "trophy" areas.

Last edited:
Thank you! I would rather hunt there every year or two than wait 5-10 years for one of the alleged "trophy" areas.

Exactly ! Way to many people caught up with the look at all those apps for that unit it must be good! So many good units in NV that take very little to draw

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back