Optic for AR-15

G

Guest member 25165

I just ordered a colt competition carbine and I am looking to outfit it with an optic of some sort. It's a flat top with an M-lock compatible free float handguard. I've never used used a red dot system before but I am curious as to how these work with a magnifier behind them or with iron sights set up for 1/3 co-witness. This gun is just going to be a range gun/informal shooting/maybe some coyotes or nuisance coons. I already have a rock river AR set up for coyotes with an adjustable scope. I also see a lot of 30 mm tube scopes with illuminated reticles...that might be interesting too. The vortex strike eagle looks like something that I might be interested in. I do not want to spend ACOG kind of money but I also don't want to spend Tru-glo kind of money either. I'm thinking somewhere between 300-600. I'm also considering a reflex sight of some sort.

What kind of set ups have you guys used/seen/have? I can honestly say I'm not much of a tactical kind of guy. I doubt I will be doing many upgrades on this gun if any. Just something to add to the collection.

take a good look at the Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24. $450 on amazon. better glass than the Strike eagle. I have one on a Browning BLR .308 and it is very nice. the Gen 2 Viper PST 1-6x24 is awesome but its $250 more. I'm sure there are other good ones out there from other brands but I know this one is a winner

I've got a Leupold VX-R 1-4 on a 6.8 and love it. In essence a red dot at low magnification, but enough zoom to reach out a bit if desired.

I've got a Leupold VX-R 1-4 on a 6.8 and love it. In essence a red dot at low magnification, but enough zoom to reach out a bit if desired.

Slick set up...!.25 x 4 illuminated 30mm tube covers a lot of ground if you already have a LR set up.

I have a P223 on a .556 with a good trigger that shoots long.

Last edited:
I had the Leupold Vx-R 1-4 and loved the scope. Another low price option that I have heard good things about is an Aimpoint PRO.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back