Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Pellet Grill... any suggestions on which?

I own 2 Traegers. I've had the Lil Tex for about 8 years. Been a good grill and still use it more than my new one. My new one is Pro Series 34. I was planning on buying another grill before my old one crapped out on me but wasn't exactly commited to Traeger. Not because of the quality of the product but because they can be had cheaper from other manufacturers. Then I stumbled across the 34 in the Cabela's bargain cave and after markdown, discount and the bargain cave managers additional markdown I got it for $415. Couldn't pass it up

A buddy has the Pit Boss and likes it.

Pellets can be bought at Walmart for $19.97 for 40# in the Pit Boss brand and I've had no problems running them in my Traegers. But they only come in a "competition blend" and not specific wood flavors.

Customer service with Traeger is outstanding!! I needed a couple parts for my 34 (bolt package and probes, hence the reason it was in the cave). I called them to order them and they shipped me the parts for free. I also told them I needed to order a part for my old grill that was no longer under warranty and that I understood I'd need to pay for it. They said "No need. We'll just send it out under the warranty on your new one." I'm very satisfied with their customer service!!!

Now if I could just afford the new Timberline they came out with....

Last edited:
Don't let me derail this thread but are you guys running the pellet grill in place of having a gas grill and a smoker? Kind of a do all? I've got a high end commercial smoker and a grill that needs to be replaced and was thinking of selling the smoker tossing the grill and just replacing with the pellet.

I usually use the little gas grill for stuff like sausages and hot dogs but the Traeger works great for grilling as well as smoking. takes a little for effort to run but worth it for results.
Don't let me derail this thread but are you guys running the pellet grill in place of having a gas grill and a smoker? Kind of a do all? I've got a high end commercial smoker and a grill that needs to be replaced and was thinking of selling the smoker tossing the grill and just replacing with the pellet.

No. I still use the Webber gas grill when I don't have much time or just have a couple small items to cook. I don't ever see myself without a gas grill.

I have a Treager Texas BBQ also, great unit love cooking on it. Treager also has great customer service. Have chocolate lab puppy last summer and pulled out every wire possible in he grill, I called Treager and they replace everything that was chewed up at no cost. Their Customer service is also open 365 days a year and also late in the evenings.

I use mine for everything from grilling hamburgers and hot dogs to smoking ribs and pork butts. My only complaint is that it doesn't get quite as hot as I'd like for cooking a nice medium to medium-rare steak.

I have a green mountain that I love. My propane grille sees very little use anymore unless its really cold out or I just want to get something grilled in a hurry.

I just bought a Pit Boss this spring. Just made some smoked dove nuggets. First thing in my life I have ever smoked and they are delicious. Pellet grills make it so easy!!

dont get a traeger. ive had one for a few years and the door hinges are always loose, the handle gets too hot to grab, and its overall kindof a flimsy build. the cabelas ones look more sturdy. im gonna sell mine and get the cabelas one.

I have a traeger. It’s flimsy. The dumb thing will at times burn too hot. I’m going to sell and find something better. Cabelas version seemed more stout.

Has anyone here had any issues with their Yoder, GM Grill or Traeger rusting? I live very close to the ocean and salt/rust is always an issue. I'd love to invest in one of these pellet systems but am afraid it would be a rust bucket in six months. Any experience with this?

look into smokin brothers grills...augers, burners, fire rods interchange with traegers. The grills and racks are much heavier though. They used to be traeger dealers until they they sold the company to the chinese, so they started their own company. Order with the louisiana controller though, can't say enough about them, they are programmable with up to three different temp and time settings and the fan speed for three settings to vary the smoke. They only go down to 150, so no cold smoke. That being said I own two traegers and love them (with the louisiana controllers). The new ones don't look like they will hold up as well. As for general use pellets I buy all natural hardwood pellts for pellet furnaces. They are hickory and oak, they are $3.59 for 40# here in SE Mo.

I have completely given up on my gas grill in favor of my Traeger, in part because it's so nice to see how much fuel you have (or don't have). Igniters on gas grills don't seem to last,and I would say a Traeger is not any different for me in terms of effort- turn it on, go out five minutes later turn to desired temp, and close the lid.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back