Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Pellet Grill... any suggestions on which?

indiana50

I am in the market for a wood pellet grill and was looking for any suggestions as to which. Currently leaning towards the Cabela's grill (it seems to be decent quality and I have some Cabelas Club points which would help price) or a Traeger if some one has a a good reason for me to pay an additional $250+ for it. I have found numerous other brands, but have zero experience with these grills and do not necessarily know what to look for. The cheaper the better obviously but I am willing to pay for quality (just not a name) so I do not have to buy again down the road.

Green Mountain,

I know several people who have them. I have not taken the plunge on one just yet but when I do it will more than likely be a green mountain. But like anything else I am sure the other brands do just fine. I have a Yeti cooler and if I didn't have a gift card along with a discount the store was running id have never paid the original price for it.

I can not say on the other brands on how they perform but I know first hand that Green Mountain has been good to the people who I know that have them.

I own a traeger and know two others who have them. No issues. Really enjoy mine. I cook on it way more than we use anything else.

Sure others work as well.

Hear the Yoders are good, I have a stick burner coming this summer, but they are a little pricey. I have friends with Traegers and they really like them.

Myself and a couple of my friends each have RecTec 680 pellet grills. We all have had good luck with them and recommend them to others who are in the market. I also have several friends with Traeger and Green Mountain grills that love and recommend them.

Bottom line seems to be to buy a reputable brand and you should have years of good grilling.

I have a pit boss for about three years now and i like it, the price is right on them to.

I have a Traeger Pro Series 22, and I love it. Whichever you buy make sure it has it has the temp probes. You just push a button and it displays the internal temp of your food. I bought it at Cabelas during an employees pricing event, saved $250. Buy the pellets at Home Depot, $15.99 vs $19.99 anywhere else I can find them. You will enjoy it

Own a Traeger, can't believe I ever lived without.
Steak on regular grill=McDonald's
Steak on pellet grill=5 star steakhouse
I am sure you will be happy with any brand

After a bunch of research I ordered the Grilla Grills Silverbac a little over a week ago, but they are backed up and it won't ship until the end of May. Looks like a good unit for the money.

I have a Louisiana grill and love it. It's a little more $ than the treger. We cook on it 4-5 days a week. Antelope and elk loins smoked whole to temp them sliced are the bomb. My friend has the cabelas one and had some issues with his first one they have a good warranty and he had so many problems that gave him a new one. He's had better luck with the second one

I have a Traeger and a Camp Chef. Both are great and very similar. I'm sure the Cabelas one will be just fine. Knowing Cabelas they either copied Traeger or had another company do so to get the same product basically.

I have had a Traeger for 7 years now. I love the electronic thermostat and the versatility. Here are a couple of things from my experience. 1) I have had a couple electronic (control panel and blower motor) issues but the service from Traeger was first rate. 2) Find a local supplier of GOOD pellets. The Traeger pellets work fine but are not of the same hard wood content as the best pellets. They use filler wood with flavoring added to it. I generally use mine for smoking but lately have been more and more found of the grilling (steaks and burgers) capability. Just my 2 cents worth.

I have had a Traeger for 7 years now. I love the electronic thermostat and the versatility. Here are a couple of things from my experience. The Traeger pellets work fine but are not of the same hard wood content as the best pellets. They use filler wood with flavoring added to it. I generally use mine for smoking but lately have been more and more found of the grilling (steaks and burgers) capability. Just my 2 cents worth.

Have a Traeger Texas model and it works great for me. bought used and no regrets.. Woulda bought a Retec if was willimg to spend more. Traegers have a lighter application of smoke than some options. there are tubes you can buy to burn additional pellets on the grill surface to force a bit heavier smoke into your food on a traeger or any pellet grill/smoker. works very well.

The pellet brand you choose is very imprtant.

Fact: Traeger brand pellets have filler wood (alder if recall) and minimal actual hardwood.
they, and other manufacturers add FLAVORED oils to cheap wood materials to mimic hardwood smoke character and flavor. Don' t fall for it.

I go with Cookinpellets.com pellets as they are the real deal...all hardwood and no fillers/flavored oils There are other good choices..

Thanks for all the advice. A few brands popped up that I hadn't stumbled on yet, I am going to do a little more research and pull the trigger on one this weekend.

Good to know about the real vs. filler pellets.

Can't wait to see what we can do with it.

I have an o9lder stick type as I love stoking the fire. On the other side I want to get a pellet one too. I love the way Green Mountain is set up for size, blue tooth, wifi etc vs the Treager and cost is usually a bit less. If you compare them side by side, just for shear volume, the GMG is taller from the grill surface to the top. Might not be a big deal until you want to do a small whole hog, or big old turkey and you need that height.

Just something to think about also.

Thanks for all the advice. A few brands popped up that I hadn't stumbled on yet, I am going to do a little more research and pull the trigger on one this weekend.

Good to know about the real vs. filler pellets.

Can't wait to see what we can do with it.

Watch your local craigslist. If you can be patient deals can be had. I bought my Traeger Texas Elite from a guy who needed a smaller one. NIB for $500.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back