Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

MT Draw Week

From past experience, don't expect the MTFWP to make this thing right...

Had a case several years back where a bunch of NR's weren't considered for the deer permits, through the fault of the MTFWP and their crap drawing process. They told me that they were going to conduct a separate draw for those that weren't even entered in the draw, through their error.

Never happened.

Like much of the MTFWP, a job requirement must be taking, and getting an A+, in advanced bullchitting and denial.

After this year, I think their draw process is about as suspect as their population estimates and harvest statistics...

We drew it as a party of four! Anybody have some tips, just point me in the right directions. Not looking for your "honey hole" but GPS coordinates might simplify it for me. I won't be able to scout or come much. We live a long ways away and have other important things going on.

We drew it as a party of four! Anybody have some tips, just point me in the right directions. Not looking for your "honey hole" but GPS coordinates might simplify it for me. I won't be able to scout or come much. We live a long ways away and have other important things going on. I'm Hugh Glass tough, have good boots and not afraid to hike.

Fixed it for you.

Also, I have onXmaps and know how to use it. I'm a master at e-scouting strategies. I want to use the onXmaps service to make certain I'm as far as possible from any public land as I'm sure this will absolutely improve my chances of success. So yeah, if you can't provide GPS coordinates, just PM me some landowner names and tips on how to wiggle my way in.

It seems like after a long dry spell, lightning tends to strike twice near the same spot. My daughter drew the same Breaks rifle tag as I did. We put in separately to maximize our odds of one person in our family drawing a good tag. Now we have two!

Gerald, I might be able to help you out with some info depending on which district you drew. Clean your box and shoot me a message.

Greenhorn, you obviously are new to this forum and the etiquette of asking for secret spots. One must wait at least a week and a half after the drawing before asking for X's on a map. I'm just planning on reaching out to local guys and ask them to send me drone footage of the bulls in my unit so I can see how antler development progresses throughout the summer.

I might start a new thread asking for input on the best nicknames to give to the hit list. Do I develop a hit list for my daughter and myself together or two seperate ones?

Nothing special here for mine. General unit for the win.

We definitely were not competing for a tag against Mr. Quist. Dude has not hunting or held a license since 2002.

Greenhorn, you obviously are new to this forum and the etiquette of asking for secret spots. One must wait at least a week and a half after the drawing before asking for X's on a map. I'm just planning on reaching out to local guys and ask them to send me drone footage of the bulls in my unit so I can see how antler development progresses throughout the summer.

I might start a new thread asking for input on the best nicknames to give to the hit list. Do I develop a hit list for my daughter and myself together or two seperate ones?

A suggestion Mr. Martin, enriching the "spirit of the hunt" by offering a reward may bring you quality, Mossy Oak-ish daily photos and quite possibly a bi weekly video/drone "proof of life" potential quality assurances for those "X marks the spot" locations. To merely receive yet not give is... tsk, tsk. ;)
And that advice, my young buck, is, ironically, on the house.

Would naming a bull on the hit list for the person that finds him for me qualify as reward enough? Two lists or one? It is said, tis more blessed to give than to receive... I'm just doing my part to bless my fellow hunters. Do you think I would be pushing the line to require that all drone footage be 1080 HD quality? It's just so hard to determine how big a bull actually is if the video is grainy.

We definitely were not competing for a tag against Mr. Quist. Dude has not hunting or held a license since 2002.
Man if this is the reason why someone votes for Gianforte over Quist then they probably shouldn't vote. Not everyone is a hunter and not every hunter has my best interests as a public land hunter in mind. This reeks of desperation by Gianfarte to show he has creds as a sportsman. Sorry Greg, you still seem like a complete asshole to me.

Apologies for the diversion from the OT.

After repeatedly checking, I have gotten past the denial stage and have accepted that I didn't draw anything.

Western hunting rookie, I drew my deer tag for MT and will be headed out in late September. I had planned on hunting public land but after drawing my tag, I called a connection in MT for some insight and he invited me to hunt his ranch. Very excited for the opportunity, but feels a little weird at the same time because I probably hunt 90% public and enjoy the 'e-scouting' prior to my trips.

While talking with him, he suggested I get an elk tag too because he has quite a few on his ranch during Sept.

I originally planned on just deer hunting for my first trip so I only applied for the deer tag but want to try to capitalize on the opportunity to hunt on a private ranch for elk.

Is there anyway for a NR to get an elk tag at this point? Based on this thread it sounds like the general elk tags sold out. I have done some research on the B tags, but to be honest, have no idea what they are (anterless maybe?, forgive my lack on knowledge/understanding). I would be happy to get a cow tag if that is all I could get too. I will be hunting in Region 7, not sure on exact location of the ranch at this point but could figure out if it played a role in whether or not I could pick a tag up.

Western hunting rookie, I drew my deer tag for MT and will be headed out in late September. I had planned on hunting public land but after drawing my tag, I called a connection in MT for some insight and he invited me to hunt his ranch. Very excited for the opportunity, but feels a little weird at the same time because I probably hunt 90% public and enjoy the 'e-scouting' prior to my trips.

While talking with him, he suggested I get an elk tag too because he has quite a few on his ranch during Sept.

I originally planned on just deer hunting for my first trip so I only applied for the deer tag but want to try to capitalize on the opportunity to hunt on a private ranch for elk.

Is there anyway for a NR to get an elk tag at this point? Based on this thread it sounds like the general elk tags sold out. I have done some research on the B tags, but to be honest, have no idea what they are (anterless maybe?, forgive my lack on knowledge/understanding). I would be happy to get a cow tag if that is all I could get too. I will be hunting in Region 7, not sure on exact location of the ranch at this point but could figure out if it played a role in whether or not I could pick a tag up.

The elk combos didn't sell out but you cannot get one because you already have a combo tag . Your deer combo . Region 7 does have some b tags , which are cow tags . Figure out which region 7 hunting district you will be in then look in the regs and apply for the b tag by June 1st . The apps are open right now . Pm me if you want with general location and I can help you out I know the regs like the back of my hand

You could also use the licence in the elk combo to shoot a cow most places in region 7. The Custer Forest and the private land in the administrative boundary of the Custer require a special licence.

Last edited:
You could also use the licence in the elk combo to shoot a cow most places in region 7. The Custer Forest and the private land in the administrative boundary of the Custer require a special licence.

Yes exactly . But he didn't get a elk combo and can't now since he already has the deer combo , you can only have 1 combo tag .

Well, I have finally accepted the fact that I did not draw the MT General Deer Combo. Pinning my hopes on a 2nd choice regional tag in Wyoming now.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back