PEAX Equipment

Browning blr

Lonesome_God_outdoors

My best friend couldn't keep a secret and told me he bought me a Browning blr 308 for my wedding present. Do any of you have personal experience with one? I've held one at Sportsman's but never thought I'd have one. Needless to say I'm pumped.

I was given one for my second deer rifle when I was 13. Second, because my first was an inherited Model 94 that I shot my first deer with.

It was 1982, and it was the BLR 81 model in .243. I put a nice little fixed 4X on it, and it shot like a dream. Still does, because I still have it. Put a lot of meat on the table with that little rifle.

Very nice, attractive, sturdy and reliable rifles. Congratulations.

I have a take down 270 wsm and love it. Finish on stock is less than to be desired though.

I purchased one in .30-06. I have to say its and exceptional rifle. I've left it iron sighted but I am thinking of putting a scope on it. I have no complaints other than sometimes the lever can be a little stiff.

I've got a BLR in .308. I mowed a lot of lawns as a 12 year old so i could buy a deer rifle that year It's an awesome little rifle. Handloads net MOA or a touch better groups.

Does your friend need another friend;)

I always wanted a takedown blr in 308 but have yet to get my hands on one. About the only complaint I have heard was the trigger. Same reason I have yet to seek a Remington 760 in 35 whelen. I've shot a few of the blr and none of them had great triggers. Nothing uncontrollable but you had to make a good pull to get them to shoot well.

Like TimeOnTarget - I mowed yards to buy mine when I was 12. I've put tons of rounds through it for deer, elk, antelope. I love it, mine is topped with a Weaver K4 that I picked up at a gun show right after I bought the gun.

A couple of comments
- I echo the trigger comments. It's not a great trigger, but it is very consistent.
- If you handload, get a set of small-base dies. You can run into feeding issues (difficult to close the lever) if you use regular dies.

Shoot the he$$ out of it and have fun. I love mine.

I've had one in a .22 for years. Got it from my parents on my tenth birthday. Nice saddle gun. Always wanted one in a .308 or .358.

I just bought one a few weeks ago in 30-06. I couldn't be happier with it. Mine is actually a take-down model, oiled walnut stock, with a pistol (not straight) grip. For a long time I had a Marlin 30-30 that I loved but didn't use enough, finally a co-worker begged me enough to sell it to him. Not a week later I found that lever action 30-06 (how cool is that?) and couldn't pass it up. It is a beautiful rifle and one that I will cherish for many years. I find to be laser accurate, consisiently holds its zero (even with a Nikon 3-9x40 scope attached to the RECEIVER - not barrel end) even after being taken down. Browning did an awesome thing with that camlock style takedown operation. One big lug and it's solid as a rock. I'm very impressed.

It'll be my bush gun and ride in the back of the bush plane....now I just need a Cessna 185!

Bottom line, your buddy got you an amazing wedding gift. Cherish it and have a blast shooting it.

Last edited:
You better know, or know someone who knows a reealllly easy, good looking blonde/redhead for your buddy's partner at the Wedding Reception !

My best friend couldn't keep a secret and told me he bought me a Browning blr 308 for my wedding present. Do any of you have personal experience with one? I've held one at Sportsman's but never thought I'd have one. Needless to say I'm pumped.

They are fantastic! Your friend is awesome and you will love that little rifle. I always preferred 165 gr in my 308's.

I will add a VX3i 1.75x6x32 leupold would be awesome on that rifle!

Cheers

I have one in 7mm08 and like it more and more the more I shoot it. It will consistently shoot 3/4 inch groups with factory ammo. Everybody says how horrible the trigger is, but unless you are shooting bench rest competition you will not notice it. Yes, it is not as crisp as a Tikka but in a hunting situation there is nothing wrong with it. I think you will fall in love with it once you start shooting it.

Just bought another one myself.
A stainless takedown '81 in 300 WSM.
Wonder what kind of accuracy I can expect.

There are quite a few guys around here that swear by them, I'm a big fan of the original BLR Lightweight (.308-length) rifles. They are light, slick and handy as hell. You'll love yours, especially if you're already a lever guy. I have a buddy with one in .300WSM, which is somewhat cumbersome, so I'm less of a fan of those.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back