Idaho Selway

JWhunter

Hello, I am looking at taking a week off school and hunting the Selway Region B Tag. I have never hunted the Selway and I'm use to hunting the Pioneer, Salmon, Sawtooth Regions. I am just curious as what to expect from the terrain, herd health, etc. I mean I'm not afraid to challenge wolves for my animals there everywhere in the state. After the fires in 2015 is there still a good population? I really am looking forward to this, also General Deer tag or Whitetail I know both will be in the area. I want to go on the B tag during September.

Thanks, let me know if you'd like any info on the Sawtooth or Salmon zones.

God Bless

JW

Well since no one else chimed, I used to hunt the Selway, Unit 17 to be exact. I stopped hunting it in 2006, I put in roughly 8 miles a day for 8 days and saw 3 sets of tracks (cow and 2 calves). The elk just arnt there like they were. I did seen real good numbers of deer, whitetails in particular. If you are still determined to hunt it, I can shoot you a PM with some areas to look at.

yeah I'm looking at it pretty hard I want a chance to hunt some beautiful country if I kill a bull it's just a bonus

yeah I'm looking at it pretty hard I want a chance to hunt some beautiful country if I kill a bull it's just a bonus

I could be wrong but I doubt the Selway has more beautiful country than the Pioneer, Salmon or Sawtooth Zones. Nothing wrong with wanting to see new country though. Hopefully someone can help you out.

No I agree those are beautiful areas I just want to spend half a day less driving and use that to get in a ways... I would be going to the sawtooths or salmon region if I didn't have twice the drive since I'm in school at UI

No I agree those are beautiful areas I just want to spend half a day less driving and use that to get in a ways... I would be going to the sawtooths or salmon region if I didn't have twice the drive since I'm in school at UI

Accessing from the Elk City road? Neat country. Further from the road you get, the better.

I'm thinking about hunting around wagon mountain but farther in close to the Montana border?

That is some god awful steep country. I hunted it in 2013 and it took us 5 days to find elk, but when we did we found them all. Good luck. It'll be a grunt, but the hunt wouldn't be any fun if it were easy!

I'm planning a hunt this year in unit 17. I was wondering if you got to make the trip or not and how it went

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tracker boat
Back