Yeti GOBOX Collection

Drawing but not able to hunt

Bmac1746

Probably been asked before so if you could point me to the thread it was answered that would be great, if not ...

Can't realistically go west to hunt until at least 6 years. Thinking about building points. If by pure luck I draw a tag but choose not to take it what happens? I would probably be looking at MT or CO

Do I keep preference points or lose them?

Thanks

In Colorado you can return the tag up until 30 before the season for that tag starts. They charge you an administrative fee, but you get your points restored.

Colorado has preference points so you can put in code P99-9999-99 and just get a point so 0% chance of drawing. Montana is a whole different story they use bonus points so it's a lottery every year and the more years you put in the more times your name goes in the hat, therefore you best bet if you didn't want to draw would be to put into a extremely low odds unit, ie, the best units in the state... the problem is if you did draw and you tried to return the permit and have your points restored you would be a total fool as you would never draw that tag again in your life.

Long and short if you put in for Montana you need to be willing to drop everything and make that hunt happen. CO, UT and WY you can build points.

Can also build points in UT, NV and AZ. WA and OR offer points as well but a tough draw for NR so ROI is low for so-so deer and elk permits. If are going to apply for sheep in OR then you might as well build points for elk, deer and pronghorn.

I believe CO changed their rules last year. If you put in to draw a tag and are successful but decide to return your tag you either get a refund and lose your points or you get your points refunded and no money refund. I think the only way to get both is for an emergency.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back