Need truck, chain all fours

RobG

I need a "normal-sized" truck such as a current Tacoma (or old Tundra), Ram 1500, maybe a Nissan Frontier. I need to fit 4 people. Towing capacity of 6000 pound for my 3-4000 pound travel trailer.

Anyway, what I really want to know iswhich trucks out there can have chains on the front tires. Also, a locking rear diff would be nice.

there aren't many trucks anymore that you can fit chains. I'm almost certain that the new Tacomas don't have enough room for front chains. Toyota strongly recommends against it and looking at mine I wouldn't feel comfortable with chains without some sort of lift and even then things are tight behind the wheels. It does have locking rear diff but only in "4 Low"

With that size in mind, I would go to the Older Tundra, more room and the available v8 for towing. With a mild lift and different wheel/tire combo you can get chains on all 4. The Ram 1500 is still the same size at a Titan, F150, GM 1500, so if you want to include all mid size and full size pickups, the list it much longer.

Now When I say lift and wheels and tires, I'm not talking a 6in suspension lift and or a body lift, but more a less a leveling kit, 1-2 inches and the wheels for the correct offset to allow more room between the brake lines and suspension components and the wheel/tire.

the locking diff is usually offered in most brands on their off road packages, if not it can always be something added to every vehicle, just depends on what you want to spend.

Also on that note, a 4 door Jeep Wrangler has the same interior room with enough towing capacity to do as you want, just no bed for gear. Also much better off road then all the pickups, especially the Rubicon package.

Also on that note, a 4 door Jeep Wrangler has the same interior room with enough towing capacity to do as you want, just no bed for gear. Also much better off road then all the pickups, especially the Rubicon package.

Until I burned up the cam last week I had a 2003 Ford Explorer that I hated for a lot of little reasons, but it did the job. The main issue was when I need to haul stuff around (e.g a refrigerator) I had to go track down a pickup. I might end up going with an SUV and just get a trailer.

Until I burned up the cam last week I had a 2003 Ford Explorer that I hated for a lot of little reasons, but it did the job. The main issue was when I need to haul stuff around (e.g a refrigerator) I had to go track down a pickup. I might end up going with an SUV and just get a trailer.

Oh I hear ya on that. I have a GMC 3500 Duramax and tow my toy hauler a few times a year. My F150 EcoBoost did it just fine but I was hoping to upgrade to a 40 foot 5th Wheel soon so I needed the extra umph from the 3500/Diesel.

I hardly use the pickup bed for pickup bed stuff, if I could I would sell it all and get back into a Jeep Wrangler and a couple trailers, one enclosed for hunting/camping one open for utility.

Tundra new or old. I run them one the front all hunting season. Though I did go with smaller chain size to ensure they didn't catch while bombing around

Can you chain fronts on a 2nd gen Tacoma? That is what I have. I have seen some do it, others don't. Apparantly, Toyota doesn't recommend it... Wondering if you could run chains on the rear and cables in front. Now that I've mentioned cables, I'll go ahead and see myself out before the laughter..:(

Can you chain fronts on a 2nd gen Tacoma? That is what I have. I have seen some do it, others don't. Apparantly, Toyota doesn't recommend it... Wondering if you could run chains on the rear and cables in front. Now that I've mentioned cables, I'll go ahead and see myself out before the laughter..:(

No, the biggest issue is the suspension that is too close to the tire. I believe you can fix this by a) changing the offset of the tire (push it out) and b) trim the internal plastic on the wheel well. I'm hoping to get this done by next season on my 2010.

Usually the problem with trying to put chains on the front end of a lot of newer pick-ups is clearance issues cause by the fact that they ride so low. Stock size tires are usually very small so there is no room between chains and all the brake components. Mild lift and larger than stock tires can help but that opens up other issues because most tucks these days have the highest gearing possible to aid in gas mileage and putting larger tires just kills your power without re-gearing and that is quite expensive.

I have a 2000 Tacoma w 3" of lift,10.50-31-15goodyear Kevlar mts all the way around,,tire chains on the front is very iffy,,less than 1" from inside of tire to the strut..i have put them on before,but i make sure they are absolutely tight,tight..Toyota does not recommend though.use common discretion.

Never put them on the front of my Tacoma. The back yes. Like maybe 6 times in 18 yrs.
Looking at getting some for my F150,it does need them at times due to weight.
It still went thru everything I drove here the last 2 yrs. But I'm a have it & not need it guy.

I've never seen those before. I wonder if they fall off with normal off road use.

I couldn't justify the cost for as little as I would use them so I didn't research them much after that. I did watch some of their videos; takes about 1 minute to chain a tire which would be great.

The spider type "traction devices" equal junk for anywhere you may need chains except to pass a highway chain check. When you have to go to chains, they better be quality and not some of the cable or other types. If you can't use them on your truck, stay out of areas you may need them. mtmuley

All new trucks have been wussified. :mad:
Yeah, heated seats and how about Ford's noob knob? Now they can charge $40,000 new, but at least they last 200,000 miles. I showed my 14 year old son my father in law's 1967 Ford Bronco. He kept asking "what does that handle do?" It took a long time to figure out what he was talking about, but once I did I answered "Oh, that's used to roll down the window." Then I showed him the choke and explained 4-40 air conditioning. He was taken aback by the hardships we endured.

Our 2011 F250 works great with chains on all 4 and tows ok. Crew cab with a topper. Not sure if Ford says not to put chains on it but we have several times and no issues. Has a locking diff too and trailer tow/ haul function. I'd find a good newer used truck with good clearance and no lift and you'll be good to go, we pull a utility ramp trailer for out atv and firewood and the truck works great for it, gas engine. Diesel is so loud in the forest everything knows you're coming their way.

Yeah, heated seats and how about Ford's noob knob? Now they can charge $40,000 new, but at least they last 200,000 miles. I showed my 14 year old son my father in law's 1967 Ford Bronco. He kept asking "what does that handle do?" It took a long time to figure out what he was talking about, but once I did I answered "Oh, that's used to roll down the window." Then I showed him the choke and explained 4-40 air conditioning. He was taken aback by the hardships we endured.

Now that's funny. It would be akin to showing a young person a phone book and a rotary dial phone.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back