MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

CO Elk unit 22

BangUSMC

Looking for a little advice on CO Elk unit 22. I have done some research and me and my brothers are going to head there for our first archery Elk hunt. Just looking for help as where to start in the unit? Not looking for trophy's, just a respectable bull and good adventure.

What season are you hunting there?

I was in there a couple years ago during archery for a couple days. I seen a fair number of elk feeding on private along County Road 5. I am sure they were bedding on public lands.

Good luck I would love to have a 3rd season Muley tag and elk tag in my pocket for that unit. With plenty of snow.

My plan is to be there during the Archery season, Is there another unit you would recommend for a first time Elk Hunter in CO?

I've only chased cows in 22, and only during the later rifle seasons. I would be looking high for bulls that early in the fall. Be prepared, the canyons are much bigger in person than they appear on google earth. Lots and lots of roads, lots of oil and gas activity.

Good luck!

Thanks for the help and info, is there any other places in CO that you would suggest a rookie elk hunter to look in the state?

For a rookie,from Sept 15th on in archery will be your best bet.At that time,the bulls are letting you know where they are.I would get high,up by treeline,and learn as much as you can about elk behavior and calling.Watch Randy elk imfo videos on YouTube .I'd look at unit 14 and other units near steamboat.Get your legs in the best shape possible,and have fun.You may learn more on the different units by becoming a member of GoHuntInsider

22 is more of a migration unit but that's not to say there are not elk there. I have been there during archery and been on elk.
Every thing marksjeep said I have seen with my own eyes.

Every otc unit in Co has pressure. Look for areas that people don't want to go. Also look for areas that get overlooked. Private can be a pain but there are ways to hunt around it.

The area I hunted last year was definitely over looked. Every one told me it was a migration area. My partner and I were into elk every day.

Elk are where you find them. They can be high they can be mid elevation as well as low. Search units for terrain you want to hunt. Units with lots of timber are hard to hunt for a beginner.

I'm in the same boat as you BangUSMC. We are headed up the first weekend in Sept for about 8 days.......That includes two days travel.....so 6 days with boots on the ground...Looking to be on units 21 & 22, according to my pal whos been there a number of years running....Good luck to you guys.

I will agree that areas that are super thick timber are frustrating for a beginner. That is where we started 3 years ago. 3 years with no punched tags but also two shots that were human error. Frustrating for a Midwest guy that is used to glassing animals in the distance. We have learned to leave binoculars in the truck, no need when you can't see more than 50-70 yards anywhere. Elk are there but you have to trust your ears and nose more than your eyes. Another struggle for us is the amount of pine or spruce beetle kill. The bottom 1/3 of the mountains seems to be the worst. I would HIGHLY recommend doing a lot of stairs before you go as climbing over deadfalls every 10-30 yards gets old and is hard on your hips and knees (at age 50 anyway). We still have a blast, but be prepared for the challenges, it will make the success that much sweeter when it happens!

Hookedoknhunting, what are you using to research your units? This gonna be your first elk hunt?

So far nothing. I have two buddies that are taking my father and myself...... They have hunted this same area about 5 years running and are pretty familiar with it. Yes, this is my dads and my first elk hunt......very excited. Dad is getting into shape. I am pretty fit and ramping up the crossfit to get ready for these hills.

looking over google maps and what not it seems like central CO is more of thick timber country and then further west in units like 22 it seems a little more sparse. Is one better then the other for a rookie elk hunter?

Central Colorado can be more mountainous, containing habitats from river bottoms to alpine tundra, and lots in between. The mountainous areas are not all thick timber, but they are not usually as open country as 22, either.

22 is located on the Roan Plateau, a semi-arid plateau with deeply incised canyons. This photo I found online is textbook GMU22. 16574.jpg Much more oak brush, service berry, pinion/juniper, sagebrush habitat than the central mountains. It's not what I would call "sparse". It's open country, which allows you to glass from the ridges and see a long way. But, once you find the critters you have to get to them. And that oak brush is thick, thick, thick.

I don't think either is "better" for a rookie, they are just different.

Central Colorado can be more mountainous, containing habitats from river bottoms to alpine tundra, and lots in between. The mountainous areas are not all thick timber, but they are not usually as open country as 22, either.

22 is located on the Roan Plateau, a semi-arid plateau with deeply incised canyons. This photo I found online is textbook GMU22. View attachment 70479 Much more oak brush, service berry, pinion/juniper, sagebrush habitat than the central mountains. It's not what I would call "sparse". It's open country, which allows you to glass from the ridges and see a long way. But, once you find the critters you have to get to them. And that oak brush is thick, thick, thick.

I don't think either is "better" for a rookie, they are just different.

Great explanation...Thanks. To this Georgia boy it looks a little intimidating. But I'll handle it. Still a little worried about my 69 year old Pops. I'll keep his pack light and we've discussed sticking him in a blind if he's worn out. My buddies are telling me they glass a good bit but end up mostly looking for sign and setting up on those spots. They always seem to locate the elk and have shot opportunities.

Great explanation...Thanks. To this Georgia boy it looks a little intimidating. But I'll handle it. Still a little worried about my 69 year old Pops. I'll keep his pack light and we've discussed sticking him in a blind if he's worn out. My buddies are telling me they glass a good bit but end up mostly looking for sign and setting up on those spots. They always seem to locate the elk and have shot opportunities.

Thanks for the info gents, like Hookedonhunting said that looks awfully intimidating for a flat lander from Minnesota, looks like Ill have to get my legs in real good shape then lol.

Don't let the terrain intimidate you. My first elk hunt was in the Bitterroots of Idaho - a place I'd argue with anyone is the most nasty terrain on the planet - and we survived. Since that first hunt I've been back to Idaho twice, Montana three times, Colorado once, and Nevada a couple times. Either way your climbing hills so you just have to accept it's not going to be easy. That's the nature of elk hunting!

Altitude can be an ass kicker, so try to give yourself a couple of days in country before the hunt starts. The importance of getting acclimated to altitude cannot be understated.

By the way, I'm from Wisconsin.

22 can be dryyyy in Sept. Have some water sources in mind to scout. I recall finding elk feeding and watering on the private land along Piceance creek, then bedding on north-facing slopes in oak brush or timber pockets, usually halfway between the valley floor and the highest ridge tops. PM sent.

Thanks for that helpful info Elkduds. I appreciate your insight! I've gotten some really good tidbits on here. So many I need to take notes and refer back to them. I should start a little log book.

I would strongly suggest another unit! I love unit 22 but have hunted since I was little. The problem with 22 is the lack of elk, especially early in September. What elk will be around will be highly visible from the main roads in early morning and the race will ne getting into position before anyone else as the leave the private fields and head to bedding areas. Usually this is myself and about 6-7 other groups of locals trying to all out gues and maneuver each other.

The picutre above was either an early spring picture or right after a storm. It is hot, usually in September the day time temp will be well into the 80s and near 90. The elk will only be active at very first light and last light! Literally you will have the first hour and the last 45 minutes to really get it done.

I have hunted the unit exclusively since 2002 for archery elk. I am pretty successful and have had good luck but I also know it inside and out. I also know that in my experience most years I hunt almost 20 days a season in the unit and get 1 chance. If I miss that chance I usually get tag soup. In my experience unit success rate is well below 10 percent.

Honestly there are many units with significantly more elk and a lot easier places to figure out.

Especially given the fact that we lost 22,000 acres of the best elk habitat in the unit to private land. The loss of this property has definitely made the unit significantly harder to hunt.

In other units a single herd of elk can contain more elk total than I can usually find in an entire season. The only reason why I keep going back is because every year I do just good enough to try again.

My wife and a good friend have hunted it with me for archery for 6 years now and neither have even let an arrow fly. My wife has never been full draw on a ill and my buddy only got to draw on bull 1 time.

If you do decide to come this way be prepared to to cover a ton of ground and go a couple days eve a week without finding new elk!

Also realize that the one good group of elk that can be seen from county road 5 on Pieance creek is there every single year because the BLM they bed on is land locked and there is no public access. The other small groups will be scattered. Unless it is a big herd on private you will likely only find small groups of 3 to 5 elk at a time if you find any at all.

If you are dead set on going 22 let me know. I will not tell you my honey holes, but there are huge chunks of the unit that hold little to no elk at all. Again before we lost the 22,000 acres of access thing we're pretty different.

Back