I Got Lucky! (Oryx on Stallion Range)

mcelweed

Hard to believe, but after 7 years of applying, I finally got lucky enough to draw a Returning Iraq/Afghanistan Resident Oryx tag on the Stallion Range for Feb 2018. :) That gives me plenty of time to practice my longer range shooting, and save money for a shoulder mount if I get lucky again and tag out.

Has anyone hunted the Stallion Range in the past couple of years? Most of the information I've found online is 3+ years old. Any hints, ideas, experiences with this hunt would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Not sure how I missed this.

I killed one Feb 2016 and my good buddy killed one Feb 2017. (Both Stallion)
My hunt was only a day and a half due to mission requirements and my buddy killed his Saturday morning!
Tons of oryx out there!!!!!

My first day I put in at least 7 stalks on some GIANT oryx. I was going big.
My goal was to the same thing Sunday and then shoot a decent one Sunday afternoon if I wasn't tagged out.
However they turned Sunday into a half day so I shot the first one within range :D

My advice to you is to read ALL of the emails the biologist sends you. He is one smart cookie and sends a lot of good stuff.
The ones you need to focus on are shot placement and judging their size.

The reason judging their size can be helpful is when you find a group of younger bachelors, the 25" one looks much bigger than the 19" ones.. don't let them fool you!
You want a nice fat 37"+ one so use the biologists email and brush up on it!!!

Glass, glass, glass, and glass some more. I've seen too many people just try to hike around and find them.
Let your eyes do the work for you.

Good luck!

Thanks Lost.

I've flown over and into Stallion Range several times (retired Air Force) but never spent any significant time on the ground. A bunch of the guys I work with have drawn that tag or spent time on the range in their AF careers. I'm trying to read up as much as I can on oryx, but other than the range biologist there's not a lot out there.

I'm a "map guy" (former HC-130 navigator) so I'm studying maps to look for possible good glassing locations. I'm really looking forward to this hunt.

Thanks Lost.

I've flown over and into Stallion Range several times (retired Air Force) but never spent any significant time on the ground. A bunch of the guys I work with have drawn that tag or spent time on the range in their AF careers. I'm trying to read up as much as I can on oryx, but other than the range biologist there's not a lot out there.

I'm a "map guy" (former HC-130 navigator) so I'm studying maps to look for possible good glassing locations. I'm really looking forward to this hunt.

Did someone send you the actual map yet? I may still have mine.
I'll be out there in Oct helping my buddy on a hunt. I'll be sure to note some areas for you and report in.

They do move a lot because there will be a Oct, Nov, Dec, and Jan hunt before yours, but that's not an issue.
They are crawling all over the place and you will make it happen!

Lost,
Much appreciated. I'm trying to pull as much information from as many sources as possible. The last thing I want is Oryx Tag soup on a Once-In-A-Lifetime tag. I still work on the Air Force base in Albuquerque and have access to mapping software and imagery (all unclassified :)). I just need to spend the summer practicing shooting. Right now I'm probably the limiting factor in the equation. Animals? Check. Remington Model 700 30-06 with Vortex Viper scope? Check. Vortex spotting scope? Check. My ability to hit the kill zone on an oryx at 300-400 yards. Eeehh? Maybe.

Lost,
Much appreciated. I'm trying to pull as much information from as many sources as possible. The last thing I want is Oryx Tag soup on a Once-In-A-Lifetime tag. I still work on the Air Force base in Albuquerque and have access to mapping software and imagery (all unclassified :)). I just need to spend the summer practicing shooting. Right now I'm probably the limiting factor in the equation. Animals? Check. Remington Model 700 30-06 with Vortex Viper scope? Check. Vortex spotting scope? Check. My ability to hit the kill zone on an oryx at 300-400 yards. Eeehh? Maybe.

Well to make this even more maddening.... you want to be practicing these shots with less than ideal rests....
I'm talking you want to be shooting 300-400 comfortably off of shooting sticks.
The emails that you'll get from the biologist will say the same. The more time you spend on that rifle practicing the easier this will go for you.
Your 30-06 will be a killer!

FYI.... I shot mine at 50 yards and I watched a buddy shoot one at 50 yards too.
Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

PM me your email address, I can shoot you a map of the range.

It's great you are taking this seriously unlike many others, but don't put such an unbearable pressure on yourself where it makes this unpleasant.
You WILL fill that tag... I have NO doubt.

Hard to believe, but after 7 years of applying, I finally got lucky enough to draw a Returning Iraq/Afghanistan Resident Oryx tag on the Stallion Range for Feb 2018. :) That gives me plenty of time to practice my longer range shooting, and save money for a shoulder mount if I get lucky again and tag out.

Has anyone hunted the Stallion Range in the past couple of years? Most of the information I've found online is 3+ years old. Any hints, ideas, experiences with this hunt would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Congrats! One of those dream hunts!

I just came off of an off range hunt and did glass up some really big bulls on stallion. I'm talking bulls in the 38" range. There are a lot of oryx on stallion and finding a good mature animal shouldn't be an issue.

Just saw this post, but ill be hunting out there next week as well. I drew the same tag as you. I'll be the idiot carrying around a bow with a backup rifle haha.

I think about that hunt all the time. I have been fortunate to have helped my dad & 2 close friends kill their oryx. However, I'm always the bridesmaid I haven't draw in 16 years of trying!!!!!

I went in 2011 and enjoyed it. It was a tough hunt then and I shot a nice cow.

Little did I know that I’d soon go to work in Africa and shoot a pile of huge bulls in 3 different countries.

Good luck on your hunt!

IMG_21751.jpg

2 hours into the hunt we found this cow and sealed the deal at 250 yards.. the truck was 2 miles though. 35x35 with 6 1/2 inch bases.

Last edited:
Congratulations!!! Those hunts are so neat and high pressure. The meat is absolutely fantastic!

A great hunt. I have hunted 3 times and with brother on a couple. Great meat and a fun time. Biggest on Rhodes Canyon. Best fun is Macgregor. Just turn you loose. The biologist is wonderful and full of info.

Congrats on the hunt. Enjoy those steaks!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back