NM Early Draw Results Release

mcelweed

NM released their draw results early. It's a good news/bad news result. I lucked out and drew deer in GMU 16 (Gila National Forest) and a Feb '18 oryx hunt on the Stallion Range. I love the Gila so that will be a great hunt and any oryx is a great hunt.

The bad news is my daughter struck out for deer, elk, and antelope. Hopefully I can get her a Youth Encouragement elk tag when they become available and maybe a decent leftover tag or two for other species. And she will still likely go with me on my hunts.

We head out for turkey hunting this weekend. We shooting for her grand slam by the time she turns 18 (14 now). NM has Merriam's and Rios so we hope to punch those this year. Next year will be my family farm in WV for Easterns, then Florida to close it out. Time will tell.

I drew same deer tag,late hunt.
Never drawn an Oryx.
Going to try NM turkeys this year.
Been jaded by my CA turkey history.Filled every tag I ever bought.Most never leaving home.2 -2fers,2 birds,one shot.lol
Good luck to you & your daughter!

Mcelweed do you know when the youth encouragement tags usually go on sale? I looked in the regs but couldn't find anything, my son struck out as well this year. But looks like you and I will be hunting oryx the same weekend.

dwatling,
I'm not sure about when the Youth Encouragement tags will be offered. NMDGF usually sends out an email prior to posting the tags or the leftover tags. If you aren't on their email list, they usually post it a week or so prior to making them available.

Congratulations on the oryx draw. I'm really looking forward to the hunt. A lot of guys I work with have drawn before so I will be picking their brains over the next 10 months. I already talked to my taxidermist and he says February is a good time for oryx. They have their "winter" coats and make good shoulder mounts.

Iam on their email list so I'll be jumping on that as soon as possible for my son. Wish I could get my wife a tag too since she struck out as well haha. I also know a couple people that have drawn that hunt so I'll be getting as much information as possible from them. If I find out anything interesting I'll send you a message, either way we'll have orientation together in February haha.

I'm heading to GMU 16 in the morning to chase Merriam's turkeys. Struck out on Rios in Tucumcari. Outdoor Life apparently let the cat out of the bag that there are a lot of Rios around there and said there was Open Gate properties. What they failed to mention was that it is 2 properties. There were 6 other groups on the larger property (270 acres) in addition to us and at least 2 groups on the smaller property (94 acres). They also got hit hard during the youth season last weekend.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back