Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

What Brand Backpack?

Well, I did it. After a few phone calls today, I settled on an Exo 3500 and a Kifaru Reckoning. Now the real waiting game begins. Will send an update with the pack I decide to stick with. Thanks again for all the help guys!

Well, I did it. After a few phone calls today, I settled on an Exo 3500 and a Kifaru Reckoning. Now the real waiting game begins. Will send an update with the pack I decide to stick with. Thanks again for all the help guys!

I just did the same thing. I had purchased a few in the last 5 months and tried them out and I sent those back. All cheaper/ overseas made. Now I m waiting on the Exo K2 3500 and Outdoorsman Optics Hunter to get here. I also wanted it to be American Made. The winner of this round will stay. I hope!

Great post. Thank you all! Please let us know what you decide. I bought a wall tent and stove this year and next year I'm getting a pack. Thus info is really helpful. Thanks!!!

I did all the same research and settled on EXO daypack in ranger green. Steve and American made was the decisive factor. American small business and a super knowledge guy who uses what he makes and sells. Hard to go wrong there.

I did all the same research and settled on EXO daypack in ranger green. Steve and American made was the decisive factor. American small business and a super knowledge guy who uses what he makes and sells. Hard to go wrong there.

I was thinking of getting the same pack....how is the the pack in ranger green?

I bought a MR Pinter last year and haven't looked back. I can get 3 day hunt out of it if I pack light. I even got rid of my Badlands OX.

Just got the Kifaru!! Filled it up with about 50 pounds. Felt pretty good when I tried it on, but considering I have nothing to compare to (Exo still hasn't arrived), I have no clue how good (or bad) it is. Excited to give her a test hike around town this afternoon!

I've used about every brand mentioned herein except Stone Glacier. I can't recommend both Kifaru and Paradox/Seek Outside highly enough. They are just outstanding products from outstanding companies.

A few thoughts when you're comparing. First, make sure you know how to properly fit and adjust a pack (belt, load lifters, etc.) so you are comparing apples to apples.

Try them with 50 pounds. Then, put about 80-100 in there and see what it's going to feel like. 100 pounds sucks regardless of what you're carrying it in, but there are various degrees of how bad it sucks too.

Well... the long-awaited day has arrived. My Exo came last night and I just got back from a short hike with it. I am so torn. They are both GREAT packs but I'm kind of kicking myself because I'm really comparing apples and oranges. The Exo is 3500ci, while the Reckoning is 5000+. Not that this is a huge difference, but it almost seems like these bags are two different classes -- the hybrid day pack that's big enough to haul meat versus the multi-day pack that's capable of being compressed into a day pack.

As mentioned before, I'm a rookie so I really have no clue what will fit my needs better. I hope to do 2 night spikes and don't necessarily anticipate longer so I think either pack would work.

Short Review: (Disclosure, please feel free to interject if I sound like I'm being an idiot. I likely don't have the packs set up perfectly, so feel free to let me know if you know something I screwed up.)

Comfort: Both are extremely comfortable with the 70 pounds I loaded them with but I'm going to give the slight edge to the Exo. The Kifaru's load lifters come off the pad a little and dig into my collar bone. I can easily adjust it once it's on my back and then it stays on the pad, just a minor annoyance when first putting on the pack. That being said, the Kifaru stores weight on my hips a little bit better than the Exo which seems to hold some more weight on my shoulders (this may be an issue on longer hikes with more weight).

Balance: This is a tie. On my back, I'll say the Exo. As mentioned, it's a smaller, more compact pack so I guess that's to be expected. I think the angled compression straps help keep it tight to my body when I lean one way or the other. On the ground, the Kifaru is more balanced. It's nice while packing to not have my pack falling over immediately after I let go. The Exo seems to be in a hurry to fall over.

Durability: This goes to the Kifaru. This I can only base on short-term use. The buckles on the Kifaru feel much stronger than the Exo and the overall bag feels tougher. They both use 500d cordura so it's likely all in my head on the fabric. Also the Exo sags a little more than the Kifaru.

Layout: Exo. There are more built in pockets on this bag. I like the bottle holders on the sides and they're big enough to serve other purposes as well. The lid is a big plus for the Exo as the Kifaru comes without one (not looking to spend a lot more than I'm already dropping on these bags).

Overall, it kind of seems like I like the Exo better, but there's just something about the Kifaru. I like that it would give me the ability to take more should I ever want to go on a 5 day hunt and I really like Aron Snyder. Since I feel like it's a tie, I'll probably go Exo since I can save 100 bucks.

Anyone have some thoughts to add before I make the decision?

Last edited:
Total actual weights would be useful, and ounces per liter of capacity.

Backpack for Sale if you're still looking

If you're still looking for a pack I have a 2016 Long Range Outdoorsmans Pack manufactured by the Outdoorsman here in Phoenix. I used it once last year and hauled one elk out with it. Awesome but too much of a pack I need for it's 7200 ci. I'm selling it for $500 for new they are over $550. You can see it in the forum and if you're interested give me a holler at the number in the add.elkpack1.jpg

We have both Stone Glacier and Exo packs in our house hold. Both have great things and a few things I wish were different. The cons I had with Stone Glacier were simply in some of the frame design. The new frame from Stone glacier I feel rectifies any beefs I had and should be awesome. I really like the stretch pockets on the Exo and overall pocket layout better than the Stone Glacier bag I currently have. I want to get the new Stone Glacier frame and Talus bag and I'll bet I'm content. I feel the Stone Glacier is more comfortable with heavy loads 60+ pounds. Either way you won't go wrong. I have the 7000 Sky in Stone Glacier and the 5500 in the EXO. I went with the larger bags so I didn't have any regrets on longer trips and both bags compress next to nothing so it's a win win.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back