Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

What Brand Backpack?

Wisco

I can't decide between MR, EXO, Kifaru, and SG and really can't narrow it down considering I don't have the ability to try any of them on. I think all of them have the ability to fit my needs, so at this point I'm just looking for what company do I want to support. I'd like to support the company with the best stance on public lands, made in the USA, all around good people, etc... Any thoughts on one brand versus another?

Thanks!

And I'll preface this by the fact that I've been on every company's website and think all their "Missions" are great, but I don't necessarily think words on a website really represent how the companies are in reality. Hence I'm asking for your opinions on what you've seen and experienced.

I was in your shoes a couple months ago. My back pack that I have used for years started falling apart. I looked them all over and finally decided on the "Optics Hunter" Pack from Outdoorsmans. https://outdoorsmans.com
My boss turned me on to them and he hunts all over BC, Alaska, and all over the lower 48. I had never heard of them until he showed me his, then I was watching an episode of MeatEater and they were using them on there. All I can say is I am highly impressed.

SG does a lot for conservation. I believe $5 from ever pack they sell goes to the WSF and they are also big supporters of 2% for conservation. They also donate to Rocky Mountain goat alliance. I don't know much about the other companies.

though not on your list, SeekOutside is a major contributor to Backcountry Hunters and Anglers and their products are made in the USA.

They seem a little bit less pricey than some. Can't believe the cost of a lot of these packs.

If it matters to you, Kifaru is Berry Compliant - 100% American made, including American made materials. I know they do a lot of business supplying certain military units with their packs as well. They are expensive, but will jump through hoops to make sure what you buy fits you perfectly - Aron Snyder gives out his cell phone and tells people to just call him with questions.

The biggest problem - too many choices :) On the good side - the frame and the bag are purchased separately, so you could always sell a bag and try a different one down the line if you wanted.

I'd shoot them an email and ask how they support conservation. I think pretty much all of the companies you listed have great customer service and would be happy to respond. It never hurts to remind them that supporting conservation is important to their customers. That said, it's a ton of money you are spending on a product that will directly affect your comfort and the quality of your hunt. Whatever you decide on, I'd wear it around the house for awhile and make sure it's the right pack for you. Work with customer service to get it adjusted right to get the most out of it. I've owned Eberlestock, Blacks Creek, Kifaru, and Stone Glacier packs. The last two have exceptional customer service and I loved both. I currently own the Stone Glacier as I love the load shelf and weight savings I got by switching to it.

I believe many if not all high end pack companies offer some type of return policy within 30 days as long as the pack is in re-sellable condition. If you have the coin, order a couple, throw a sandbag in and do some comparison. I have an SG Solo and it's a great pack.

You really can't go wrong with any you have on your list. All make quality packs. I have a Kifaru and love it. For what it's worth, the Mystery Ranch hunting line is now made overseas, unlike the others on your list.

I would come up with a list of needs- day hunting vs overnight, max number of days hunting, organization/pockets, etc. Then find the pack that most closely fits those needs. There are plenty of good options between these manufacturers.

Mystery Ranch makes great packs. For what it is worth, MR has conservation and public land access partnerships with the Mule Deer Foundation, TRCP, WSF, MT Wilderness Association and BHA.
I would steer you towards the Pintler for big day hunts or an overnight hunt or the Metcalf for 3-5 day hunts. Good luck!

All of those probably check your boxes ethically. They might seem pretty similar, but fit and feel are going to be different among them.

Thanks everyone, your answers are exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'm going to make a few phone calls tomorrow and see if I can finally make a decision. The point about Aron Snyder might just have put Kifaru into my first choice. That kind of accountability is really impressive in today's world. Thanks again!

EXO has the same level of customer service...if you call them up there's a good chance Steve will be answering the phone. I had an issue with my pack and they repaired it and had it back to me in less than 2 weeks.

If possible, go try them on with a professional who knows how it should be fit. That was a mistake I made when getting my first pack. Took me years before I figured out the pack I bought was too short for my frame.

Not all Mystery Ranch packs are made in USA anymore. Their military packs are (assuming they have to be?) but the others aren't. This is a big reason why I just ordered a Kifaru EMR II for my dad. Have the new pack now, and we will be testing it out in a couple weeks. It seems like a great pack from what I've looked at it. I picked it out knowing it will eventually be mine :)
The two other packs that I own are Mystery Ranch, and they have been great packs. The one I use the most is the CrewCab which they still make in the USA. This pack can function as a large pack or as a day pack, but it doesn't do as good on the large end. I think the Kifaru will be a much better dual purpose pack.

I agree the list if packs your looking at are all quality, I believe some are more "friendly" when it comes to packing gear and camp. Good luck with a decision we all struggle with

I just got a Kifaru in the mail yesterday. I got the Woodsman with a couple belt pouches and a roll top pod. Really nice setup, can't wait to get it out

Back