PEAX Equipment

New Mexico Antelope

jakeintx

I am super excited, this was my first year putting in for New Mexico Antelope and I was drawn for my second choice ANT-1-166. It is for a rifle hunt, first time going after antelope. Count down is on to August.

I drew tag Ant-1-121 for unit 47 at a ranch next to Kiowa national grasslands. I can't wait for August as well. I am beyond excited.

Good luck to you on your hunt. There is a lot of Antelope in the area best of the whole state. How does your hunt work? Are you assigned a ranch or can you go to any ranch or public lands in the units listed?

I drew tag Ant-1-121 for unit 47 at a ranch next to Kiowa national grasslands. I can't wait for August as well. I am beyond excited.

Congrats Miggs! Good luck on that!

I just found out I've got a ranch tag for a giant ranch in unit 40. (Land owner tag for FREE)!!!!

Good luck to you on your hunt. There is a lot of Antelope in the area best of the whole state. How does your hunt work? Are you assigned a ranch or can you go to any ranch or public lands in the units listed?

You are assigned to a private ranch. That ranch owner also gets tags he can sell. Your public draw tag is to give you equal access to the ranch as if you had one of the landowner tags but not always the case when the dust settles. Can create some tense interactions. If you do not find any bucks, and the season is very short, you can reach out to the local F&G officer to see if he will assign you to a different private ranch for the 2nd day. May or may not and not finding a big buck is not usually a good reason. I drew muzzleloader one year and was a unit wide tag.

You are assigned to a private ranch. That ranch owner also gets tags he can sell. Your public draw tag is to give you equal access to the ranch as if you had one of the landowner tags but not always the case when the dust settles. Can create some tense interactions. If you do not find any bucks, and the season is very short, you can reach out to the local F&G officer to see if he will assign you to a different private ranch for the 2nd day. May or may not and not finding a big buck is not usually a good reason. I drew muzzleloader one year and was a unit wide tag.

I was asking the OP's hunt of Ant-1-166 mobility impairment hunt. I have heard with those tags they can hunt anywhere in the Unit assigned, is that true? Just curious.

Mobility Impaired hunters can hunt any accessible public land within the units drawn. Private land with permission. Also, you can't move ranches the 2nd day of the hunt anymore. They did away with that rule years ago for antelope tags. It was a life saver on some bad years.

Mobility Impaired hunters can hunt any accessible public land within the units drawn. Private land with permission. Also, you can't move ranches the 2nd day of the hunt anymore. They did away with that rule years ago for antelope tags. It was a life saver on some bad years.

Thanks for the info.

You should have fun. Just don't let the landowner give you any BS about the rules. I had one tell me I had to stay on the gravel main roads, so I did the day before the hunt while scouting. Next day his land owner taggers show up and drive every 2 track on the ranch. A quick call to the F&G cleared up the BS and 2 tracking I went!

Hi All,
As others said with the Mobility Impaired I guess whole area is open to me. I have not been in that part of New Mexico, but very excited. The guide has another MI hunter that will be on hunt and it should be a lot of fun.

Talk to the ranch ahead of time, if possible. Respect their paying hunters, but don't let them push you around. As my old neighbor said about antelope hunting, "bring plenty of bullets".

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back