Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

1st round, 338 Fed

Gunner46

Finally, Finally got to get out to the range and take the 1st shots with the RA re-bore. I was actually expecting it to thump the old shoulder with a bit more authority, but it was a pleasant surprise to find the recoil was easy-peasy.

Ran some Fed Fusion 200's and 45.0gr of RL-15 w/ 200gr Speers. Not trying to group anything, just breakin' in the barrel. Still, it was printing 2" groups without even trying all that hard, without a rest, just elbows on the bench and a tight sling.

One thing though, I learned the hard way that the front swivel stud will crack the crap on your knuckle, if you grip a bit too far forward! It's gonna be tender for a couple of days.

Last edited:
This is one round that has always been at the back of my mind. I would love to get a 308 BLR and have it rebored.

I was thinking a remington 7600 carbine to a .338

Glad its going well, I have no doubt you'll have it dialed in quickly. What scope did you go with?

Gunner, I have talked to JES, it would either have to be an older steel receiver BLR or an newer detachable barrel BLR. He said he cannot do the newer BLR's that are not steel unless it has the detatchable barrel. Still looking!

NID, don't dismay. My 338 project dates back to Desert Storm and being told 'No Way' by some so told Experts.

It was originally going to be a Rem 600 re-barrelled, but some bright upstart here on the forum suggested that I just get it re-bored. (Ding)

Then I found a .308 Ruger RA Wolf for $289.

A year later, and some heavy duty over-time ($$$$), I just spent a cold, windy morning getting my left knuckle cracked VERY sharply, because of my poor bench form.

Back