Caribou Gear Tarp

Climbing Tree Stands

KillShot

Hey guys,
I've always used a hang on tree stand for bowhunting, and I would like to switch to a climbing tree stand. I've looked at several brands like Summit, Buckshot, and Millennium but I can't decide which of these have the best climber. I really liked the compact nature of the Summit, but the self leveling feature of the Buckshot might win me over. Any opinions?

The Summit Viper SD is the one I'm looking at for my next climber. I've hunted out of a Buckshot many, many times, and it served very well, but the weight/compact difference goes to the SD. You can usually catch one on sale for under $250, if you search around.

Either way....happy hunting.

No matter which one you get, remember two important things:
1- Always wear a safety harness
2- Always make sure you have the foot portion tied to the upper portion with a 6 foot piece of rope. You don't want to be 20 feet up a tree, and the foot portion slides down the tree to the ground.

Love my Summit, super comfortable for long sits. What I don't like about climbers is the effort involved to climb and try to be quiet and therefore I sweat a lot when climbing with one, = bad scent control. (Assuming you are whitetail hunting)

What makes you wanna switch? I have both and I prefer to use a hang on. In my opinion climbers are and cumbersome carrying in and attaching to the tree. The only time I use it is if I can attach it to a tree during afternoon for an evening hunt or for the next morning.

Lone Wolf. I think mine weighs around 13 pounds which is very light for a climbing stand. I can carry it all day which is nice since i park at the entrance and hike in. Some people don't like the thin pad but I'm relatively light and don't mind but you can always change that. I also like the built in bow stand in the base. Could not be quicker or easier to set up either. i do it in the dark every time. Finally, it's very quiet with no metal pins to clank around but instead rubber cams and rubber coated belts.

My Summit SS is the most comfortable stand I have. It's kind of big and bulky to carry, but that's what gives it it's comfort.

I like a climber for hunting public land. Leaving a stand up overnight or longer is a good way to lose a stand around here. They're also nice for hunting new areas, as I can move around from day to day more easily learning the area.

IMO, they are mostly all good from those manufacturers. For me, the small differences don't really matter. One big item for me, is if bowhunting, I want and open front. No bar/rest across the front. Some that I like this have a provision for sit/stand climbing, but on many you'll have to use your arms/upper body to hold you. For me, it's not that big of a problem and I'm fat, but some folks may not like or be able to do that. I also prefer a sling style seat as I think they are more confortable. Along with the suggestions for saftey harness and tying the two pieces together, I also pack in a small pair of ratchet or motorcycle straps. Once in position, I use these to secure both halves of the stand to the tree. IME, it keeps them quieter.

One thing to remember with a climber. Straight trees are much better and straight trees may not be where you want to set up...

Good point on the trees. Here in NC, it's not really an issue because I'd be mostly climbing pitch pines.

As for why I want to switch, I have a bit of a fear of heights and I feel like I would be more comfortable in a leveling climber. Definitely want to go with an open front model, though,

Decisions, decisions....

I have used a Summit Viper for about 9-10 years now and love it. Add the footrest. It makes a big difference in comfort.

I have been using the buckshot equalizer for years. I love the stand, and hope to never have to use a climber that does not have a leveling mechanism again. However, I think buckshot is out of business. Another company has the rights to the old equalizer and that is buckhorn outdoors. http://www.buckhornoutdoorproducts.com/ and they are in Fuquay near Raleigh I think. It really helps with where you can set up, not having to pick a perfect tree, stay close to the ground. And the seat is reversible to face forward and backward which I really like also. The weight isn't great, but otherwise I love it.

I have been using the buckshot equalizer for years. I love the stand, and hope to never have to use a climber that does not have a leveling mechanism again. However, I think buckshot is out of business. Another company has the rights to the old equalizer and that is buckhorn outdoors. http://www.buckhornoutdoorproducts.com/ and they are in Fuquay near Raleigh I think. It really helps with where you can set up, not having to pick a perfect tree, stay close to the ground. And the seat is reversible to face forward and backward which I really like also. The weight isn't great, but otherwise I love it.
If it works as advertised, that'd be neater than a skeeter peter as my dad would say. I've always disliked having to have the stand placed at an angle at the bottom so it'd level out once you climbed up.

I have a Summit which has treated me pretty good. I had another one more years ago than I care to remember and it broke(probably my fault). Warranty service and replacement was pretty painless from what I recall.

I don't even use the climber anymore. Having to carry it into the woods, plus climbing the tree gets me all soaking wet and pissed off. I prefer hang on or ladder now just for the fact that I can get to my stand quietly and quickly without any fuss. Climber is good for scouting new areas and stuff, but if I was going to use mine again I would probably leave it in the woods chained to the tree.

If it works as advertised, that'd be neater than a skeeter peter as my dad would say. I've always disliked having to have the stand placed at an angle at the bottom so it'd level out once you climbed up.

Its pretty dang impressive. I have used several others and definitely agree with the odd angle at the start. This stand does a great job of eliminating this. It seems to be safer to me as well.

Its pretty dang impressive. I have used several others and definitely agree with the odd angle at the start. This stand does a great job of eliminating this. It seems to be safer to me as well.
I think that it would have to be safer. I haven't had my climber out the past two years. All hunts here for whitetail in that time have been with either one or both of my two sons in either ladder stands or ground blinds. I might take some time for myself this year and get the climber back out. WIsh I had the jingle to get one of these to try. Maybe Santa will bring me one...

Lone Wolf. I have always hunted out of a hang on, and most of my hunting still is, but invested in a lone wolf to give me flexibility should I decide to get closer to a new trail or bedding cover without having to hang a new stand. The lone wolf is extremely light, easy to use and rock solid.

Love my Summit, super comfortable for long sits. What I don't like about climbers is the effort involved to climb and try to be quiet and therefore I sweat a lot when climbing with one, = bad scent control. (Assuming you are whitetail hunting)

100% agree. I have a summit viper and love it as well. very comfy and easy to sit or stand in all day. not great for packing in on your back long distances. I plan on buying one of these this season. X-stand and Muddy both make the same stand that is lighter and easier to pack than the Summit. I think its worth a look. x stand apache and muddy stalker
https://x-stand.com/product/the-apache/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back