Caribou Gear

NM draw

Drew second rifle 52, 3 man party, any info would be much appreciated. Plan now is to scout the wilderness area. Congrats to the other lucky folks and good luck for the others in future draws!

The OATH Foundation
www.theoathfoundation.net

Helping heroes when they aren't helping you!

Thank you montexan, I will be in contact with you soon! Yes, I spent a good number of years in LBK, fortunately I have a couple of degrees to show for it.

Last edited:
Thank you Randy! I will be on touch with you soon. Sorry about taking your tag, but your more than welcome to come run around the hills with me.

Howdy,

I drew 16B, late rifle. I have never elk hunted New Mexico. I do not mind walking far for the elk. Plan on using horses for the pack out. Any experience/tips appreciated.

Mike

Nobody is going to believe me when I tell them this. I drew a once in a lifetime tag in valle vidal and a bighorn sheep in unit 13 and 17. I am still completely flipping out right now.

I would be flipping out too. That bighorn sheep hunt is my dream hunt. Been putting in for years for one. That is awesome country. Good on you. Find a nice one! Best of luck!

Nobody is going to believe me when I tell them this. I drew a once in a lifetime tag in valle vidal and a bighorn sheep in unit 13 and 17. I am still completely flipping out right now.

The gf drew antelope and a cow elk muzzie hunt in 13 at the same time my bighorn hunt is. Crazy!

Which VV hunt?

I drew a 16E rifle tag. Can't wait to get out there and start scouting. Time to get my ATV in working condition!

My wife and I came up bust for archery tages in NM GMU 52, but we DID draw tags for deer in the same unit. We've hunted NM GMU 49 a good bit but we're not familiar with 52. If anyone has hunted it for elk and seen some muley spots, would love to chat with you here or offline. Thanks - and good luck all. We only have time to hunt the weekends, so I'll post my observations the next week of any of elk in the unit for you guys if I see any.

Drew for the second year but in unit 9 this time. ES tag for first archery season.

Last edited:
Nice to see some more TTU alum on this sight. Good luck in 36 Redraider13!

Seems like there is a decent sized group of Tech alum around here. It is nice so much public land in New Mexico is readily available on a short drive from Lubbock.

I also drew a unit 36 NM for ML bull. Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated.

I also drew a unit 36 NM for ML bull. Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Get in the best shape of your life and you will have a great hunt. There are some pretty steep ups and downs in that country.

When I had the rifle tag for 36 I hunted the wilderness based out of the 3 rivers campground.

If you can't find elk in 36 you aren't looking very hard. I think I saw more elk on that hunt than any elk hunt that I've done before or since.

Here's the write up I did for my blog if you want to take the time to read it - http://padens.blogspot.com/2010/11/successful-new-mexico-elk-hunt-novel.html

Last edited:
Get in the best shape of your life and you will have a great hunt. There are some pretty steep ups and downs in that country.

When I had the rifle tag for 36 I hunted the wilderness based out of the 3 rivers campground.

If you can't find elk in 36 you aren't looking very hard. I think I saw more elk on that hunt than any elk hunt that I've done before or since.

Here's the write up I did for my blog if you want to take the time to read it - http://padens.blogspot.com/2010/11/successful-new-mexico-elk-hunt-novel.html

Great write up. Sounds like everything else I have read, great trophy quality but tough!!! I will be sending you a pm soon with questions

Thanks for the help

The gf drew antelope and a cow elk muzzie hunt in 13 at the same time my bighorn hunt is. Crazy!

Holy moly! You drew Ladron sheep tag. Wow. There are some giant sheep in that unit.

Sounds like quite the adventure, thanks for sharing. Sounds like I better hop on the stair climber!

Holy moly! You drew Ladron sheep tag. Wow. There are some giant sheep in that unit.

From what I understand there were, but there are only smaller ones now. Nothing 190+, a few that are 180+ but thats it.

Yeah, i'm pretty stoked. Kind of awesome how supportive everyone that everyone is and is encouraging me to succeed. But at the same time, its a lot of pressure.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back