NM draw

Looks like we might try a unit 2 unit wide landowner for the archery season. Not really sure how i feel about that.

I drew a cow rifle for unit 6C. My first time applying. I'm a noob. Don't even own a gun. hah. Super pumped though. Working on prioritizing gear I need.
Hope to meet some of you at the upcoming bha pint night.

So at the last minute my wife and sister told me they wanted to try elk hunting. They both see how my dad and I obsess over elk hunting so I guess we can blame ourselves for their curiosity. In a dash to beat the 5:00 deadline and it being 4:45 when they told to put them in the draw. In a rush I entered them in some quality hunts.. well that was my attempt. I thought I put them in for the Caldera, Valle Vidal and Unit 34 all muzzle-loader. When they drew we their fist choice we were all on cloud 9. Well last night I reviewed the hunt code and found out that they actually drew Unit 6A not 6B; yea I entered the wrong code.

So now I reaching out to anyone that has hunt this unit and can give me some areas to scout. I am not interested in monster bulls or honey holes, I was just looking for some guidance on were we can get into some good groups of elk.

6A is still a pretty good tag, the no-brainer area to try would be San Pedro Parks, but it can get hit pretty hard, and you will be competing with guys with horses. Plenty of other country to look at, but I've got no particular recommendations, find some more recent burn areas (ask Forest Service) if there are any in 6A (lots in 6C).

Further tip on jrabq's tip. Hunt the southern boundary area in the Parks. Overlooked & below where the above mentioned camps are & where they drive the elk......
That tip came from a local buddy & one of the old wardens. Golden.

Further tip on jrabq's tip. Hunt the southern boundary area in the Parks. Overlooked & below where the above mentioned camps are & where they drive the elk......
That tip came from a local buddy & one of the old wardens. Golden.

Thanks Hank. Went to a BHA pint night and meet a gentleman that told me the same thing.

Think NM will be two weeks early again this year? I believe last year it was this coming Wednesday. I sure hope so because I am hoping for a unit 34 bull tag since BobbyDean took my tag last year. ;) :D

ishootdasmallones,

Sorry I took your tag.

But hunting it, it sure felt like my tag. I did not fill it. There are still many big bulls in 34. I must say this was one of the most fun hunts in my old life. Would do it again in a heartbeat even if I knew the results were the same.

I did not apply for bull 34 this year. I had my chance.

ishootdasmallones, I hope it is your tag!

@jvanderlinde - I checked my account and it says Items purchased - 2 and "Sold" in green as well. However I took a screenshot when I submitted my application back in March and at that time is said the same thing. So unfortunately I do not think it means you did or did not draw.

Last edited:
ishootdasmallones,

Sorry I took your tag.

But hunting it, it sure felt like my tag. I did not fill it. There are still many big bulls in 34. I must say this was one of the most fun hunts in my old life. Would do it again in a heartbeat even if I knew the results were the same.

I did not apply for bull 34 this year. I had my chance.

ishootdasmallones, I hope it is your tag!

LOL, I'm glad you had a great hunt BobbyDean.

I saw this post and got really excited... and then realized it was from 2017. I am shooting for the stars across the board - elk, deer and antelope. Top unit hunts or nothing for me this year in NM. Good luck to everyone else.

Think NM will be two weeks early again this year? I believe last year it was this coming Wednesday. I sure hope so because I am hoping for a unit 34 bull tag since BobbyDean took my tag last year. ;) :D

Thanks for getting my hopes up... haha... I thought this was a thread started this year. But I hope it does come early.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back