Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

First father/son double!

Outdooraddict

Let me start out saying that I was super proud of the kid when he shot his first turkey two seasons ago at the age of 7. He has always been a "weird" kid- learned how to cast a pole before he could jump on two feet, tied flies instead of playing with basketballs/soccerballs, just loved everything outdoors at an early age. He has seen 50 times more animals than I ever did at his age so he has been a little spoiled and doesn't know what it took to find these little "honey holes" for deer, elk, turkey, etc... Last year he was skunked because he didn't want to shoot a jake like he did the year before. I believe he is learning that sometimes you take what you get, unless you are satisfied with the experience of your time outdoors regardless of tagging an animal. Of course, no kid is happy without shooting something so he tells me he will shoot the first legal turkey we see. After a short walk in the dark, the area comes alive with turkeys. We find a spot, hunker down, and he shoots the first legal turkey he sees. Fortunate for him, it is a big tom (9.5 inch beard). He ejects his shell and starts walking to his prize when he notices another tom pouncing on his. So, he instructs me to shoot the other tom. No problem. It was a good day- with my bird being an added bonus.
View attachment 69765View attachment 69766View attachment 69767View attachment 69768

Attachments

• IMG_4100.JPG
    IMG_4100.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_4099.JPG
    IMG_4099.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_4106.PNG
    IMG_4106.PNG
    132.7 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_4115.JPG
    IMG_4115.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 198
It sure is awesome to be in the woods with a boatload of turkeys talking to each other. Doubling with your son makes it an extra special adventure. Congratulations

How cool is that ! Making them memories is what makes it very had to say good by when they leave for college. LOL
Congratulations to you both. I pray you have a life time of these kinds of memories in the making.

Good job! Dad and I have doubled up twice. We should have done it a 3rd time a few years ago but I got trigger happy and shot first :eek:. The other bird spooked and flew across the holler onto the next ridge and we got him later that morning.

Man I wish my dad hunted, this is such a cool experience to share with your son! Congrats to you both.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back