Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

YouTube - Gear list for Alaska black bear hunt

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
I've done this trip five times. I've pretty much got it dialed in for flying to AK, then chartering a Beaver out to an island where we pitch camp on the beach, and do our hunting from a small skiff.

As part of an upcoming black bear episode that is exclusive to YouTube, we did this and a few other videos. When all of these videos are rolled out, you will have the road map to do your own self-guided black bear hunt in Alaska. Not sure if we have ever done as much logistic information as you will find in this set of videos.

Here is the video about equipment we use. We fly it all to AK. Some of it we slim down even further when we get to the base of our transporter. It costs a bit of extra baggage fees, but no other way around it. If you forget something, you will pay dearly for it in Alaska, either by the discomfort of not having it or by the financial pain of what it costs up there.

This one takes a bit more time, eleven minutes, but I think it is worth the time invested if you are planning your first hunt up there.

[video=youtube_share;-Q9mjKerl9U]https://youtu.be/-Q9mjKerl9U[/video]

Here is a video with a lot more logistics and how we do the hunt for under $2,000.

[video=youtube_share;q8RMskUU7Hc]https://youtu.be/q8RMskUU7Hc[/video]

I've done this trip five times. I've pretty much got it dialed in for flying to AK, then chartering a Beaver out to an island where we pitch camp on the beach, and do our hunting from a small skiff.

As part of an upcoming black bear episode that is exclusive to YouTube, we did this and a few other videos. When all of these videos are rolled out, you will have the road map to do your own self-guided black bear hunt in Alaska. Not sure if we have ever done as much logistic information as you will find in this set of videos.

Here is the video about equipment we use. We fly it all to AK. Some of it we slim down even further when we get to the base of our transporter. It costs a bit of extra baggage fees, but no other way around it. If you forget something, you will pay dearly for it in Alaska, either by the discomfort of not having it or by the financial pain of what it costs up there.

This one takes a bit more time, eleven minutes, but I think it is worth the time invested if you are planning your first hunt up there.

[video=youtube_share;-Q9mjKerl9U]https://youtu.be/-Q9mjKerl9U[/video]

Excellent!

Besides fuel, you can not fly with bear spray.

I also like stocking foot waders (Simms) so I can turn them completely inside out
to dry completley overnight (we usually stay in a Forest Service Cabin),

I'd add WD-40 and zip ties to the list, especially for working with outboards.

Salt for bear hide? And scapel for working on nose/ears etc?

I also like the InReach Explorer for sending text messages via sateliites..works anywhere.

If renting a boat, ask for crab traps for Dungeness...

The only other recommendation I have is to plan for delays getting in and out even with a Beaver...sometimes it is just too rough to fly safely and you may have to wait a day or two extra for pick up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back