Caribou Gear Tarp

Winchester M70 Carbine Facelift

Beartooth83

I've got a Winchester M70 Carbine (from the late 80's) in 270 that I want to give a facelift to. The bluing is not so good, and has a little rust in a few spots. The bore is shiny and performs fine for my needs. A couple questions.

1. I'd like to have it Cerakoted. Any suggestions on where? I'm located in ND.

2. The checkering on the stock is pretty worn down. I'll probably end up with a brand new stock. But as I'm looking for a new stock, what barrel contour would best fit this CARBINE barrel? Would the featherweight stocks work? Or is there a fiberglass model someone could suggest that would work? I'd prefer to stay with wood or laminate, but not opposed to synthetic.

Any suggestions would be great.

It's pretty easy to rechecker the stock. You can get a cutter from Brownell's and all you do is chase out all of the lines. Refinishing is really easy to do.

I forgot to mention that there is also a small crack on the rear of the grip that has me a little weary to keep using it. This is why I'm leaning towards new.

Thanks, JLS

It's pretty easy to rechecker the stock. You can get a cutter from Brownell's and all you do is chase out all of the lines. Refinishing is really easy to do.

Boyds stocks makes a nice laminate at a good price. They have a couple of different checkering styles available as well. I put one on my sons rifle and really like it. I had the gunsmith glass bed it and it really looks sharp.

John Norrell makes a great steel coating also that is worth researching. I had my gunsmith put it on a .280 AI I had built. I chose the flat black coating and it really looks sharp and has been wearing great so far!!

https://molyresin.com/

Last edited:
Back