Favorite On a Budget rifle

Which would you choosefor On a Budget rifle?

• Savage

Votes: 53 45.7%
  • TC

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • Ruger

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Mossberg

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Remington

Votes: 25 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gunner46

Just to kick up some dust (and because I've never tried to submit a poll)..which Mfg would you choose ?

Last edited:
Just to kick up some dust (and because I've never tried to submit a poll)..which Mfg would you choose ?

When you say "budget" are you talking $450-$700 dollar budget or $800-$1500 budget? One might have a different "budget" for guns than another.

I don't own one (yet) but from everything I've read and learned from others, lots of people are enjoying the Ruger American Predator. I've got my eye on a Ruger American Ranch in 223.

When you say "budget" are you talking $450-$700 dollar budget or $800-$1500 budget? One might have a different "budget" for guns than another.
My thoughts too. Less than 500 I would but the Ruger American. Then I hear people ask about a budget rifle under 1k. Then it gets fun. There really are a lot of capable rifles out there for less than 500. I'm going to try the Ruger American myself in 308 and add a raised comb. It will likely become my rifle that gets abused by the TSA.

I voted Savage, but for just a little bump in price Tikka is a great value when compared to more expensive rifles. Great action, great factory trigger and typically very accurate right out of the box.

Voted Savage but would have voted Tikka if it was an option..

Based on my experience, Savage is a good budget rifle. The three I have experience with shoot very well, and the one 06' has an original barrel from the 70s, and has seen many rounds fired.

That said, I'm mildly interested in a few of the others such as the Ruger.

I voted Ruger as well. I bought my wife an American in .308 and it's a flat out shooter. I liked it so much I bought one in 30-06 to replace my Savage. I really liked that Axis, plus I have one in 25-06. I just bought my son an Axis in .308. I have the original Axis rifles with the crappy triggers, but I don't mind them after 15 years of M16's and M4's. I bought my Ruger 30-06 as the package with the Redfield scope. I've killed a lot of animals with it, but I decided to help a buddy out that needed a rifle and parted ways with it. My new Howa 30-06 is a great rifle. It's the same price point as my old Ruger 30-06, even with the scope. So, for less than $500 I got the Savages, the Ruger, as well as the Howa. So, I would vote for the Savage, and the Ruger, as well as the Howa. They are all great rifles for a good price point.

I voted Remington simply because I've never shot or seen something made by Remington that I wasn't in some way impressed with.

I will also say my wife's lefty Savage Axis .243 is a driver of tacks, for real.

I voted Rem. because I have an old 700 that was inexpensive & would get another in a heartbeat....if I could find another one.

I have a friend the bought a Ruger American in .243 and that thing shoots! He showed me the group from cheap factory ammo and I was amazed at the one jagged hole. I have been tempted to get one for a varmit gun, because that is the gun I use the most and the hardest on.

I picked up a left-handed stainless Savage Model 16 Weather Warrior with accutrigger on Gunbroker.com for $400 a few years ago. I took the tupperware stock, and re-enforced the stock with some threaded rod and JB weld to give it more stiffness. I bedded the action, painted the tupperware stock, and put a Vortex Viper scope on it. That gun has served me well, and will shoot nice small clover leaf groups with factory ammo all day long. I've shot an elk, several deer, and handful of antelope with it so far. Hard to beat a Savage in my opinion, especially a nice used model 11/16 or 111/116 with accu-trigger

I voted Remington because I have been shooting a model 700 308cal since Moby Dick was a minnow. Never has failed me. To use my wife's favorite saying it is like a sore dick can't beat it

I voted savage because we have 3 tack drivers in the house. I have always liked Remington though now I only own one, and it's been with me since the beginning of my big game hunting career, and I like it a lot.

no Howa love on this poll? tough crowd.

Hahahaha! Seriously though you guys are starting to peak my curiosity. Hearing really good things keep up the quality and I might have to bite the bullet in the future. I'm a savage guy, because I love to work on my own rifles plus I love accurate rifles and don't own a rifle that setup I have more then $800 in and I embarrass a lot of buddies with bigger checkbooks then I got.

no Howa love on this poll? tough crowd.

I had to answer based on the options in the poll so I chose Savage.

I have a Howa Mini in 223 that shoots great...was trying to shoot gophers out to 400 yards with it the other day. I know it'll do it but my windage holdover is a terrible guess at best. I believe the load is 27.6 grains (could be 26.7 as afternoon dyslexia kicks in) of CFE223 under a 55gr Hornady FMJ. Your Chassis rifle has the attention of several guys I've talked to.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back