Yeti GOBOX Collection

Truck Tire Questions

INJones

Planning first DIY western hunt this year for pronghorn in WY. Zero points so likely to be in Eastern WY. Starting to prep and watched Randy's "Truck Dump" video. Never really thought about my truck tires much and had to run out to the garage for a quick peak.

Currently I have Good Year Wrangler DuraTrac 265/65R18 B. Had to do a little research on the tire. It a M/S tire but is low end on the Load Range -- B or a 4 ply.

Are these tires good enough for eastern WY or would switching out to a LT E or 10 ply be recommended?

Thanks for the info?

Scott

10 ply, are I would say a must. Gravel roads are your friend and enemy, it provides traction and will cut your tires!

I've done Duratrac and the BFG KO2. They're both great tires. I prefer the KO2 on my Super Duty and Goodyear on my lighter trucks since they seem to wear too fast on the heavy rig.

Pretty sure I'll always run theBFG's on my truck unless they stop making them. On my 3rd set now and couldn't be happier.

4ply are garbage. I got four flats in 12,000 miles when I bought my F1 50, but most of those 12,000 we'e on highway from Dickinson to Butte. In reality I got four flats in about 700 miles of dirt on eastern Montana . So you have to decide whether you can afford new tires or if you can afford to miss possibly multiple days of out-of-state hunting that cost you a lot of money sitting around waiting for the rural tire shop to open

I have now put 68,000 miles on my Cooper ST maxes and have not got a flat.
Good portion of which were on some of the gnarliest, rockiest legally drivable roads I've ever seen.

Another vote for BFG tires here. My last 3 sets of truck tires were BFG mud terrain and never had any flats or other problems. The mud terrain tires wear kind of fast so I went to an all-terrain for my last set. BFG tires have a 3 ply sidewall as opposed to most tires that have 2 ply sidewalls even if they have an E load rating.
They are great tires. The only drawback is that they are quite pricey.
Good luck with your tire search and your antelope hunt.

Thanks for the feedback. Better to know now that I need to get new tires rather than the month before the hunt!

I wouldn't buy 4-ply for any truck, but I suppose a 1/2 ton that doesn't tow or leave the hardball would probably get by. I've got 65k on my Hankook 10 ply's on a 3/4 ton.

4 ply's are normally what you get from the factory on a new truck because they look good and are CHEAP. They will work if you stay in town and drive to the store and work (paved roads only). Gravel roads will chew up a set of cheap tires in no time at all. Go with a quality set of 10 ply tires and have a good trip.

I headed into the Breaks with 6 ply tires and 2 spares. I was able to fix the 3rd flat with a plug but #4 blew out on the way home in between White Sulfur and Townsend so I had to have my wife drive down from Helena with another spare. She didn't bitch at all when I bought a set of 10 ply tires.

10 ply Goodyear Duratracs on my 3/4 ton Chevy. I've used GY tires for a long time on my Jeep in the rocks. They make good tires, but they are expensive. BFG are also very good tires. I have been disappointed with Cooper. I have cut several Cooper 10 ply through the tread on gravel roads with light loads in the bed of my truck.

In addition to a good set of tires, a plug kit and small 12V compressor can really save a trip.

Duratrac E will be great. We also have some cooper Duck Commander E, the all terrain, on a F 150 and have had no problems.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chughes
Back