Yeti GOBOX Collection

Smallmouth Bass in NM

jrabq

Today I went to a lake that used to be my #1 honey hole for walleye, but the last 4 years it's been mostly a bust after some severe water level fluctuations (or at least that's my excuse). I usually give it one try a year, then go elsewhere if the fishing still sucks. The walleye were still AWOL, but the SM bass fishing was great. Caught 12, kept a limit (5), including two at 3.5 and 3.7 lbs. They sure fight better than walleye, or even largemouth bass, it was great fun!

P1020241red.jpg

P1020236red.jpg

Nice smallies! Which lake do you fish?

I went to Conchas and Santa Rosa on back to back weekends and got skunked for walleye on a kayak. First weekend it was near freezing, the next it was 90F+. Both weekends had terrible wind. I'm almost as bad a fisherman as I am an elk hunter. Got some intel that Lake Sumner was pretty good on walleye.

Nice smallies! Which lake do you fish?

I went to Conchas and Santa Rosa on back to back weekends and got skunked for walleye on a kayak. First weekend it was near freezing, the next it was 90F+. Both weekends had terrible wind. I'm almost as bad a fisherman as I am an elk hunter. Got some intel that Lake Sumner was pretty good on walleye.

This was Santa Rosa, I talked to a couple of other guys who also had no luck on walleye. It used to be a great spot, not sure what happened, I keep waiting for it to come back. Fishing report from last week had a couple of large walleye mentioned (like 8 lbs.), which peaked my interest. Sumner has been good for me last couple of years, I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago from there. Went back a week later with a friend and we did OK with 8 walleye and 2 bass, but all the walleyes were smallish (~15").

"Terrible wind", par for the course in NM, I plan my trips around it if possible.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back