MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Archery elk

Barnesnbow

I am planning on heading to Montana this fall to hunt elk with the bow for the first time. Is there anywhere to go with a general tag that isn't around the bears. I will be most likely going by myself unless I find another person to go with. Being my first time I don't feel comfortable with bears by myself.

Not intimately familiar with Montana, but generally good elk country is good bear country. Good news is bears don't feel comfortable around you either.

What part of the state are you heading to? If you keep a clean camp you should not have any issues.

I agree about clean camp being at the top of the list. I would also advise to be "prepared" to see bears in Montana period. This will make you much more comfortable around them. Walked in bear country last year probably 40 miles combined and saw 0 Grizz and about a dozen blackies. But i know there were Grizz there I just didnt happen to cross paths. Big open country is nice you have less chance of creeping in on one but just be prepared either way. (Obviously having a plan and following said plan at this crucial moment is not always a cake walk) :)

Shorter answer, there are plenty of spots with a lot lower chance of running into bears, but it seems like (could be wrong here) in my experience the closer I get to "Grizz country" the more elk i see. Here in the Mission Valley there regularly walk down into Ninepipes and one was even caught playing in the sand bunkers at a local golf course. Never know...

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back