Caribou Gear

Alaska blacktail/sea duck rookies, because life is too short

Hunting Wife

Hunting Husband and I have been contemplating a hunting trip to Alaska for several years now. It was something we thought we'd do "someday", when we had more time, more money, more I don't know what. But lately, it seems like we've lost quite a few people close to us who were way too young, and it's been hard to shake that feeling that life is far too short and you better get to work on doing the things you really don't want to miss out on, while you are still able. So we pulled the trigger on a trip to the Kodiak Archipelago for blacktails and sea ducks. Hunting Husband has hunted Alaska and northern Canada for caribou and moose before, but it will be my first trip north, and new species for both of us.

We chose the week of Thanksgiving because we wanted a chance at some mount-worthy waterfowl. A nice Harley and a Long-tailed duck would make the duck hunt a smashing success. Waterfowl will be guided so we can take advantage of the watercraft, layout boats and decoys without the hassles of doing those on our own, but deer will be DIY with a transporter on Raspberry Island. It seems like that time period is still a decent time to chase blacktails, I hope! I think we'd both be tickled with just a pretty, representative buck. Not really planning on taking more than one deer apiece - it will only be 5 hunting days (with probably 3 devoted entirely to deer if weather/circumstances don't interfere), so I hope that proves doable. No idea what to expect, but don't want to be overly optimistic/unrealistic. I'm also hopeful that I might turn up a fox - I've always wanted a nice one.

I know many folks on here have chased these deer in various parts of Alaska, though most of the threads I turn up are pretty darn old and the pictures are long gone. I've enjoyed Randy's videos/posts, and some others I've found online. I guess really this is just sort of a general thread for anyone who has done similar hunts. What did you learn that you wished you knew before you went? Any lessons from the School of Hard Knocks - things you'd do differently, or things you did right? And certainly any stories and pics you're willing to share? :) There are never too many of those!

I hunted much earlier than you will be. A couple of take aways; rain gear, good traction and tough "waterproof" gloves. I'm sure you can figure out the first, but durability and working are more important than weight. Transporter we used favored Impertech. Good, waterproof boots and next time I'd take some hiking crampons for the very wet/steep parts. At the suggestion of folks there I treated some leather gloves with beeswax. They are close enough to waterproof and tough enough to keep devils club out of your digits.

I will be doing a Deer / Duck combo in November out of Ketchikan and POW. It will be my first hunt in S.E. AK. but not my first duck hunt in AK. I have hunted waterfowl 3 times before and all in the Bering Sea.
Here's a video link to my latest hunt. If you have any specific questions I'll try and answer them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvW9l8XZRhU

Good luck! I definitely want to do a blacktail trip one day. I did a little research a while back because I thought that I could pull off a hunt before school was back in. Unfortunately the deer are high up and was likely to rigorous for kids to go along. If what I read is true, by that time the deer will be low and easier to access than earlier in the season. It will be great no matter when you go.

Excellent advice! (leather gloves treated with beeswax, stiff waterproof boots, crampons)

Devils Club...nasty, nasty, nasty...

Also expect dense tangles of alder shrubline you may have to climb up through
to get to alpine meadows.

Kodiak in November can be cold and wet.
Under a good waterproof shell (Impertech, Helly Hansen, etc.)
I like layers of synthetic polar fleece instead of wool because it dries faster than wool,
plus climbing up you will need to shed layers.

Take a big thermos for hot liquids.

If you ice-fish, take whatever you use for walking on ice (yak-trax, ice crampons, etc).

(My wife is from North Dakota (Glennfield, near Jamestown) )

--Skeeter

Last edited:
Thanks guys! After seeing the pictures of devil's club, we were thinking leather gloves would be the ticket but the beeswax tip was new to us. Also hadn't thought about ice fishing cleats. Since we have them, might as well take them. Stiff, tall boots are a must for me after years of sports related ankle injuries. Tall leather waterproof boots (Kenetrek or similar) are what I was thinking. Yea, or nay?

I think I understand alders. I used to have to climb through them in Oregon when I did mountain wetland surveys for the Forest Service. A lot of climbing in/on/between branches over water/mud. Does that sound similar?

Thanks for the videos and thread links (I found yours deer_shooter). That country looks spectacular. I can't wait to get out in it! And I think it was glass eye's photos of foxes taken on some of those duck hunts that made me really want to get one!

As far as boots go, Super Tufs are the choice for many Alaskans. I don't care for them myself, but on the flip side I've never had leather boots that were be waterproof enough for the area you're going to. Waist or chest high waders are a must. You may even want to wear them deer hunting. Lots of guides wear them full time for hunting. If the ice fishing cleats are some sort of chain device, forget them, they won't help. I use Korker strap-on cleats for fishing and I don't think I'd want to use them due to their not having enough depth (on the spike) to help on weed covered hillsides. The crampons that you say someone recommended have much longer spikes and will grip through 6"-8" of wet blown down weed cover to help you keep your footing.
If you're doing your hunt with Birch Robbins, ask him to give you contact info for Dan Suprak (his lodge's guide). Dan had an outstanding year on Raspberry this year and I'm sure he could give you pointers on needed gear.
This winter's weather hasn't been too bad and next year should see some super deer hunting. Consider getting an extra tag or two - sitka deer venison is the BEST tasting deer meat you will ever eat. Good luck on your hunt.

If you take leather boots take boot dressing. You'll want to treat them every night. I had Sitka cold front pants and coat and stayed dry. Maybe just me but it felt colder than wat it was so pack plenty of layers

Best advise I can give is if it's raining,get out there after the deer.I had much better luck seeing blacktail when it was raining.Bright sunny days,which are few and far between were the worst days to hunt deer.They sell cork bottom boots that the locals love.Get the best rain gear cause chances are that will be your main hunting outfit.Also,I agree with blacktail being the best tasting deer meat.

Another consideration is most bucks will be post-rut by Thanksgiving week?

On the other hand, there may be enough snow by then to push deer down to lower elevations.

--Skeeter

Hmm, good to know. Wasn't sure if we would be catching the end of it or not. From the info I've gathered so far, it sounds like barring heavy snow, bucks may head back up to higher elevation post-rut - is that generally true? I know everything hinges on weather.

We'll be prepared to climb to the high ground, and if they are lower it will be a bonus. Starting to look at the map to figure out what kind of areas we should be focusing on, given different scenarios of weather/behavior.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. It helps get us thinking in the right mindset.

A couple of things that haven't been mentioned yet - bring walking sticks. They'll be some aid when climbing, but will really be most useful when descending the mountain with a full pack of meat. They can also be looped together to give you a quick shooting rest (bipod).
Another thing to be mentioned is bears. I'm kind of surprised the OP didn't ask about them as most first timers can't seem to think of anything else. :) They will be around. And they can get pretty big. And at that time of the year, they'll be looking for a big feed before beddy-by-time. Having said all that, the best advice is to be aware that they are around, but don't be unduly worried about them. When dealing with a downed deer, one of you should be on watch, not helping with the deer. If you're quartering the deer and packing it (the best way to deal with it if you have a long way to go and have thick brush to deal with on the way back to the boat), skin down the back. Peel hide off the up-side, remove quarters and all other meat, bagging as you go. flip deer over & do the same to the other side. You don't touch the guts this way and scent won't spread quite so fast (hungry bears, remember). Pack it & head out. An average size buck will have around 50-60 lbs of boned meat, so with the bones in you should be good for 2 packs to do it in one trip. If you plan to drag the whole carcass out (which I wouldn't if I had: a hill to climb. alders to go through or a steep downhill with any brush to navigate), gut it & get out.
One more thing is to familiarize yourselves with the AK Game regulations regarding the retrieval/salvage of meat and "trophies". It is different from most other states.

Last edited:
Another thing to be mentioned is bears. I'm kind of surprised the OP didn't ask about them as most first timers can't seem to think of anything else. :)

Ha! Hunting Husband and I are both employed in the wildlife field in Montana. Usually we're the ones trying to keep visiting hunters from completely freaking out about the bears! ;) Duly noted, we'll be on guard. Would like to see one (knock on wood), as long as it's not chewing on my head or running off with my deer! Spotting scope range would be just fine.

Poles, check. Regs, check. Thanks Gary!

A couple of things that haven't been mentioned yet - bring walking sticks. They'll be some aid when climbing, but will really be most useful when descending the mountain with a full pack of meat. They can also be looped together to give you a quick shooting rest (bipod).
Another thing to be mentioned is bears. I'm kind of surprised the OP didn't ask about them as most first timers can't seem to think of anything else. :) They will be around. And they can get pretty big. And at that time of the year, they'll be looking for a big feed before beddy-by-time. Having said all that, the best advice is to be aware that they are around, but don't be unduly worried about them. When dealing with a downed deer, one of you should be on watch, not helping with the deer. If you're quartering the deer and packing it (the best way to deal with it if you have a long way to go and have thick brush to deal with on the way back to the boat), skin down the back. Peel hide off the up-side, remove quarters and all other meat, bagging as you go. flip deer over & do the same to the other side. You don't touch the guts this way and scent won't spread quite so fast (hungry bears, remember). Pack it & head out. An average size buck will have around 50-60 lbs of boned meat, so with the bones in you should be good for 2 packs to do it in one trip. If you plan to drag the whole carcass out (which I wouldn't if I had: a hill to climb. alders to go through or a steep downhill with any brush to navigate), gut it & get out.
One more thing is to familiarize yourselves with the AK Game regulations regarding the retrieval/salvage of meat and "trophies". It is different from most other states.

Excellent suggestions!

My hunting partner broke his ankle on a Kodiak hunt,
going down a steep alder slope with a heavy pack.
(his ankle got stuck in the alders as he did a face plant down the steep slope).
Alders are not to be underestimated (or devils club).

--Skeeter

Thanks guys! After seeing the pictures of devil's club, we were thinking leather gloves would be the ticket but the beeswax tip was new to us. Also hadn't thought about ice fishing cleats. Since we have them, might as well take them. Stiff, tall boots are a must for me after years of sports related ankle injuries. Tall leather waterproof boots (Kenetrek or similar) are what I was thinking. Yea, or nay?

I think I understand alders. I used to have to climb through them in Oregon when I did mountain wetland surveys for the Forest Service. A lot of climbing in/on/between branches over water/mud. Does that sound similar?

Thanks for the videos and thread links (I found yours deer_shooter). That country looks spectacular. I can't wait to get out in it! And I think it was glass eye's photos of foxes taken on some of those duck hunts that made me really want to get one!
For treating your gloves, I used my wife's hair dryer to melt the wax (pure beeswax that I bought at a craft store) but a heat gun would probably be better. Don't put your hand in them to work work the wax in. It gets HOT! :D Also, do it sooner rather than later as the gloves will take a long time to break in. Once broken in I really like 'em, but getting there is a pain. I used 8" waterproof leather boots with gaiters and felt like they were fine. I was on a boat based hunt, so had provisions for drying stuff out at night.

That last step was a doozy! ;)

There were times both me and the deer were off the ground in the alders. At the suggestion of the trasproter, I drug mine out. 2.25mi as the crow flies. The next ones we got were quartered and packed out. Much easier.

Ha! Hunting Husband and I are both employed in the wildlife field in Montana. Usually we're the ones trying to keep visiting hunters from completely freaking out about the bears! ;) Duly noted, we'll be on guard. Would like to see one (knock on wood), as long as it's not chewing on my head or running off with my deer! Spotting scope range would be just fine.

Poles, check. Regs, check. Thanks Gary!

Yeah, something we see all the time with people coming to AK for the first time. They have the idea that there is a BEAR behind every bush, just waiting to do horrible things to them. Raspberry has a pretty good population of brownies. Some bears (stress "some") seem to have learned that a rifle shot means "meat" - they're the ones to look out for as they know they might have to intimidate a hunter to get the free food. They'll tend to come in fast and hard - no pussy footing around. Some pretty good stories about those bears. :)
Again - good luck and have a great trip.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back