CO Checking in

AdventureAwaitsinCO

Hey all. New to hunting, new to firearms, new to CO. Looking for any help/advice on where to start. What I've done so far:

Hunter safety, check.

License app in, check. I paid for preference points for deer and elk and will get an OTC tag if I can find some new best friends to take a noob along.

Marksman training and range time, check - I've been going to range to get practice in. I am doing an Appleseed soon so I will get a ton of instruction there and spend the rest of the spring and summer going to the range and practicing more. I have a Ruger 10/22 and a hunting rifle that I have been using to practice.

Hunting rifle/scope, check(ish) My dad gave me his old hunting rifle. It is a Remington Model 4, chambered in 30-06. It is basically a variant of the Remington 7400 which was a somewhat popular semi auto made in the 80s. The gun has a reputation of jamming so I will look to replace it if I have solid plans to make it out this season. It has jammed on me only once but I have less than 100 rounds through it. There are also a few things I don't like about it. For one, the bolt release is on the magazine. I don't know how common that is but it seems odd that I can't keep the bolt open unless a mag is attached. I'd think that having the ability to have the bolt open and magazine not in the gun would allow me to clean it better and more efficiently but whatever. A range instructor told me the gun is in decent shape but I should get a better scope. I'll read some more into it because I am a novice.

That's about it on the preparing to hunt front. I plan on reading a few books, but what would really be helpful is some people who wouldn't mind taking along a new guy.

About me:
Mid 30s, male, married, no kids, 2 pets, love sports and doing outdoor stuff, BJJ, hiking, running, skiing, live in a Denver suburb but willing to travel almost anywhere in CO to hunt or learn the ropes. I am in great shape so I wouldn't slow anyone down. I know that "being in great shape" is a relative term as everyone has different standards but I like to challenge myself. I've got 3 marathons, 4-5 half's and too many to count 10ks under my belt. I did the Denver half marathon this past year without training at all. That is a fun race! I regularly did 5-8 mile hikes almost every weekend last summer in the mountains and was fine pushing a moderate pace. My dad was a butcher so blood and guts don't bother me. I have butchered many parts of animals while working for him, albeit I never had to work on an animal that was looking at me! The reason I bring this up is because I feel like I could be an asset in that regard to a hunting party once I got the hang of it.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Any questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

All that's some great tips! I'm planning on alot of walking...looking forward to that. Just curious about the "State wilderness areas" where its, foot traffic only......

AdventureAwaitsinCO welcome to the site and sounds like you are on the right track. Once you find a spot, a good way to scout from your house is to use google earth. I live in PA and only get out to Colorado once a year for 2 weeks to hunt. so to learn more ground I use google earth a lot. hope this helps!! Good luck.

Check out Colorado BHA. Lots of events coming up and you'll meet some great, open minded people. Maybe even a hunting partner.

Yup, great idea. I am a tech nerd to some degree and I have been doing that but the problem with being so new is that I am not exactly sure what I am looking for! I know Steve Rinella of meateater tv fame has a book out that has been highly praised by beginners and experienced hunters alike. I believe there is a section on scouting and what to look for so I am going to pick that up when I am done with my current book.

AdventureAwaitsinCO welcome to the site and sounds like you are on the right track. Once you find a spot, a good way to scout from your house is to use google earth. I live in PA and only get out to Colorado once a year for 2 weeks to hunt. so to learn more ground I use google earth a lot. hope this helps!! Good luck.

Yup, great idea. I am a tech nerd to some degree and I have been doing that but the problem with being so new is that I am not exactly sure what I am looking for! I know Steve Rinella of meateater tv fame has a book out that has been highly praised by beginners and experienced hunters alike. I believe there is a section on scouting and what to look for so I am going to pick that up when I am done with my current book.

Check out Colorado BHA. Lots of events coming up and you'll meet some great, open minded people. Maybe even a hunting partner.

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely do that! Being a habitat watchmen volunteer sounds cool, rewarding and helps you get a better understanding of the ecology around us. I will be looking into that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back