Fun Last Night!!!!!!!

Are you using a thermal scope? Do they run off very far if you shoot at them at night?

I've been considering picking up a thermal scope for night hunting hogs. Also trying to decide if going to a suppressed BLK .30 with the thermal would be the way to go or just skipping the suppressor.

Nice job.

I hunted hogs with a group of friends last weekend, and in my opinion DO NOT skip the suppressor. I had one on my rifle and my buddy did not... made it that much more noticeable how loud an un-suppressed rifle can be. As far as using the .300 BO for pigs..... After all I read about it, I thought for sure it was the just the ticket. But after watching several pigs soak up rounds and loosing a couple, I think that when I go back I will be using an AR10 (.308) with my thermal. I have no doubt the .300 BO is "sufficient", especially when shooting in daylight at a feeder... But I found that at night, tracking is much harder, so knocking them down quickly is important if you want to recover them. I will tell you that hunting them at night was a blast though, and I am already trying to figure out how to get back down there.

Using thermal. We get the wind rt, sneak up to the edge of the field, spot the hogs, then plan a stalk, if you the wind is rt you can usually get within around 50yds while they feed in a wheat or oats field. We used 6.8 n 300BO. The 6.8 performed better but I feel it was due to bullett choice; 300BO we shot Barnes TTX n the 6.8 we shot Hornady SST; love Barnes but on marginal running shots the bullets would "zip" rt through without imparting much "punch" (pigs would go down but would run a bit further)the SST would knock em flat. Not knocking the Barnes it's just at night u want em to "die rt there" because tracking in iknee to waist high crops ain't fun to say the least!! As far as needing a .308, I would say personal preference, I honestly usually use my .223 Wylde but the thermal was on the others. Ultimately it all boils down to where u put the bullett, used my .218 Bee n 22 Hornett plenty of times when that's what I happened to have w me on the farm.

N also a suppressor is nice, shoot the far pig in the sounder first, n the rest are left confused as to where it's coming from

Man that's a heck of a lot of fun it's been years since I did any night hunting for pigs. Never used a thermal for that kind of hunting, but used them in the sandbox.

Buddy and I were just yammering over this type of hunt. Grats on a great time!
I've heard the flavor can be a bit rough... but if they're feeding on that type of Ritz-Carlton smorgasbord, that clean up the flavor enough to make it a good pick for morning family breakfast? I know taste is subjective though hogs seem to hold a concensus for a tad off taste.(?)

These pigs are eating good groceries, they taste great!!!! Anything you would do with domestic pork you can do with these. As with anything (domestic or wild) you are what you eat and care after the shot affect the product. Also when you skin/gut the boars (young or old) cut a large circle around the head of the penis, there are large scent glands there. Sometimes on the the real older ones we will soak the meat in a sugar cure ice bath for day or so and that also helps with the wild flavor.

Buddy and I were just yammering over this type of hunt. Grats on a great time!
I've heard the flavor can be a bit rough... but if they're feeding on that type of Ritz-Carlton smorgasbord, that clean up the flavor enough to make it a good pick for morning family breakfast? I know taste is subjective though hogs seem to hold a concensus for a tad off taste.(?)
My wife is not a huge fan of wild game. That said, the pork I brought home from TX takes second place only to bison according to her. We both really liked them.

Cooked some up for the boys at my firehouse n there were no leftovers!!!
Making sausage tomorrow; jalapeño/cheese kielbasa n some Alsatian. N
Then back out to the fields to knock down some more, depending on weather

EBR's, night hunts, and dead piggies. Looks about as much fun as you can get away with while staying out of the clink.

I'd love to give my 6.8 a run at some of those critters one of these days.

Congrats!

Back