Just another Texan

TexRed

Hey y'all! I've been hunting for a good portion of my life. Hunting to me has always been sitting in a box blind over a feeder hoping that a good buck steps out. When I was in college I ran across Fresh Tracks/OYOA, SoloHuntr and Meat Eater episodes. That sparked a fire in me and eventually Western hunting was all I could think about. Sadly living on a college student budget and time didn't allow for me to apply or take off to pursue any of these adventures.

I have begun to build points and apply in various states and hopefully I will be out chasing elk and mule deer during the upcoming season (good Lord willin'). I look forward to soaking up all the knowledge that is provided through this site. I'm always out chasing something so if anyone is ever in the TX panhandle area give me a shout, we've got excellent goose, duck, sandhill crane and pig hunting!

TexRed

Sandhills are a hard hunt. I had access on some prime places this last season. Spent hours making my own silosock decoys, practicing with calls and trying to figure out tactics. We were not too successful to say the least.

This next season I am hoping to have my decoy numbers in the hundreds and have scouted a little better. However, we did improve with every trip to the field. The first few trips we wern't able to get them within a half mile or so. Eventually we had them coming in just out of range before they would spook and peel away (I think more decoys are key). Ideally you want somewhat overcast skies so the birds are forced to fly lower to see the ground.

These birds have phenomenal eyesight and they swirl above you well out of range trying to pick out any mistake you made in your spread, blind brushing, movement. They are very smart birds despite what people might say.

Howdy!! Hope you avoid the Canadian during the sand drags and races. Still lots of pheasants near Stratford? Hunted antelope up there one time.

I've done pretty good at avoiding the sand drags. I do love the canadian/Meredith area though. I grew up in Amarillo and wish I would have taken advantage of those resources more when I was there.

Not too sure on the pheasant. The only places I've hunted them was in Perryton and Hereford. I think the populations are doing decent along with an upward trend in quail populations as well!

Welcome sir! I am from Lubbock originally....went to Texas Tech. You had me at sandhills and hogs lol. I miss home this time of year when I could hunt our place for hogs year round.

Best of luck to you this year!

Where are you located now? I was born in Amarillo but raised for most part in Lubbock. I live in Shallowater now so haven't made it far from Lubbock.

Where are you located now? I was born in Amarillo but raised for most part in Lubbock. I live in Shallowater now so haven't made it far from Lubbock.

Billings, Montana! Sucks up here. Don't let Newberg fool you. There are hardly any elk here and the winters are cold af.

jk

Go Shallowater Mustangs! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back