Unit 88 Colorado

Pagosa

I applied for a pronghorn buck rifle tag in Colorado unit 88 this week with 7 preference points. I plan on hunting the Pawnee national grasslands and I will be working across the border in Wyoming through the summer so I will be able to scout a few days through the spring, summer, and fall if I draw a permit. Does anyone have any first hand experience on how bad the hunter pressure is on public lands? I've heard that adjacent unit 87 gets run over with hunters, but 88 only issues 90 tags for the rifle season and even less for the archery and blackpowder. Also wanted to know if setting up in a highground area where pronghorn are spotted before season and just wanting for hunters to push them around would be the best method of hunting down there? Or covering ground by vehicle and glassing to find herds to stalk? I've never hunted pronghorn, but have watched them for 35 years and know they spook easily once they get hunted. Thanks for the help. Preston

Haven't hunted 88, but we hunted 87 a few years back. By noon the first day the hunting pressure settled out and we were seeing some decent goats on public land. Some of those goats were pushed from private to public. I would suggest keep moving around until you spot a good one then go after it. Waiting at a specific spot can be a bit of a crap shoot.

Dallsheep, thanks for the recommendation. I just didn't know the best method for pronghorn hunting in pressured areas, since the public land parcels seem rather small.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back